50's Kitsch in my Kitch helps me stay light


I live in a "time capsule" 1950's ranch house and the kitchen is my favorite place in it! I had always dreamed of living in a mid-century ranch house like my grandmother’s where I spent many happy days as a young child, eating lunch at her chrome dinette set, admiring her figurines in her curio cabinet, watching “I Love Lucy” on her large TV with rabbit ears or looking out of her large multi-pane window onto the tree lined suburban street.
 
To her, food was love. Now I know that's gotten a bad rap from the celebrity shrinks who tell us that if we learn that food = love then we'll overeat when we want love.

I see it differently.

My grandmother made most everything from scratch, and she did so lovingly (and she always looked smashing with her hair up, earrings dangling, high heels clacking around the tiled floor and often left a red ghost of her lips when she kissed me on the cheek.) She was the best cook (in my opinion, anyway!) and fed EVERYONE. When she later moved to Miami Beach and I visited she'd have me bring a homemade chicken dinner to the doorman. When I was in her kitchen eating, surrounded by her knick-knacks and saw her smile as she watched me eat what she had made for me, I knew peace.

I have recreated that setting in my own kitchen, and when I cook I think of the things  for which I am grateful. I tune out the craziness in the world as much as I can. If the old transistor radio is on, it's playing an oldies station. When I am feeling less stressed and more fulfilled I am less likely to stuff my face with empty filler foods. Food is love and I love to eat, and when I'm coming from a position of strength and positive energy I'm choosing what's best for me.

Eating like a slim lady from the 50's has become a lifestyle for me, and I think it's something that everyone can do without having to redecorate their kitchen. It's a mindset, but for me, and maybe for you, by bringing more of "back in the day" into my current life, I find that healthier choices come more naturally.

Comments

  1. Oh wow! What a cool book idea!! I love the idea behind this blog and your message!

    I have just started my own blog about losing weight and it is called 52 pounds in 52 weeks.

    I WOULD LOVEEE for you to stop by once in a while and give some feedback on what you think I can do / change / try!!

    I am sure my readers would appreciate it too!!!!

    Keep up the great work and great blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a cute kitchen and I love the memories you shared of your grandmother!

    ReplyDelete
  3. -SPW thanks!!! And good luck! I'll stop by if I have a chance!

    klutzymama, thank you. From what I know about you from your blog I think you would have liked her a lot. She was a lot of fun!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a lovely, cozy post. I live in a mid-century modern house too but I don't seem to ever be home!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tessa, thank you. I would love to see pictures of your house- do you have any posted online?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello! I found your blog on Google and I love it! I am a retro weight loss enthusiast/collector/blogger so this is right up my alley!

    Good luck with your book! You have one guaranteed sale right here!! I am planing to follow your blog too.

    Hope you will stop by my retro weight loss blog. I am following the 1972 Weight Watchers program as a crazy experiment & I have a feeling you might enjoy my adventures.

    http://www.theskinnyjeansproject.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mimi- Hi! Great! Thanks!

    Vintage Weight Watchers isn't crazy, actually. I was on WW in the late 70's and early 80's! I've been wanting to write about it, now you've given me a reason!

    I'll check out your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I adore your kitchen! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I know this is an old post. I came across you book on Amazon and immediately came over to read your blog. I blog over at YUMeating.com (my non blogger site) where I share a lot of my great-grandma and grandmothers recipes along side healthier alternatives. Let's face it, they may have been thinner, but 5 cups of sugar isn't going to make me feel good! :) I love your site so far and as YUM continues to grow I hope to carry on an entire vintage section as well. I'll be adding you to the retro blog list for future reference and keep on lurking!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi- thanks! Glad you found my book and blog. I'll check out YUMeating. : )

      Delete
  10. Brilliant! But, then, maybe that's because I agree wholeheartedly. ;) I, too, find that in creating more of a vintage lifestyle, I can stick to better habits more easily. I am so glad I found your blog with all its helpful information. It's a wonderful inspiration and aid on my journey into the '50s.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you found my blog! Thanks for your kind feedback. : )

      Delete

Post a Comment

Comments are now closed on Outdated By Design which was retired in April of 2017. I am leaving my blog archives online. If you need to reach me please use the handy contact form. Thanks!