Slow Down

I came across an article that proclaims a study found that many Americans are clueless and distracted behind the wheel. This quote jumped out at me: "85 percent of respondents did not know how to react to a traffic signal where the light was yellow."

Think about this- most people don't know how to react when getting the yellow light indicating it's time to slow down. 

This seems to be the problem not only with driving, but eating. 

Our bodies give us clues when we are getting full so that hopefully we slow down and stop before we've gone too far. Most Americans eat on "the go" or while watching TV, or tinkering with their gadgets, just like they do while driving. Of course, many eat on the road, too. 

If we don't learn how to pay attention to the signals we can't know when enough is enough.

In the 50's, people didn't have the number distractions that we do today. Usually, when it was time to eat, people sat and ate. 

Rushing from one place to another while cramming as much as possible into each minute tends to lead to eating to excess. Let's all stay aware so we know when we need to slow down and stop!

Comments

  1. And here I thought a yellow light meant spead up :)

    Rushing absolutely leads to eating poorly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amen to that! We would all benefit from slowing down in every area of our lives.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Averyl, this is so true. It's so easy to eat unconsciously and forget to stop! I need to practice this myself.
    Thanks for the reminder!
    Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  4. Recently discovered your blog and I LOVE IT... You are Raw and tell it like it is... I am constantly desiring to know and understand how we lived back in the "good ole" hard working days long before fast food and I am entitled to convenience mind set... Like you I live in a older home(1942)and prefer them over modern builds as they have character and history...

    Your blog here on healthy eating and comparing yesteryear to today is very enlightening and I encourage you to keep posting... cause I know I will be back to learn more :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Amanda, it sure does (lead to eating poorly)!

    klutzymama, it's something I've been working on since I moved away from NYC in 1985...

    Rustique, glad to do it! I need to remind myself often.

    Jeannie, thanks for your kind feedback and welcome to the blog!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment