American PETS Didn't Get Fat in the 50s

I just discovered the Association for Pet Obesity Prevention. In their news section:

The fifth annual veterinary survey found 53 percent of adult dogs and 55 percent of cats to be classified as overweight or obese by their veterinarian. That equals 88.4 million pets that are too heavy according to veterinarians. 

“The most distressing finding in this year’s study was the fact that more pet owners are unaware their pet is overweight.” comments APOP founder Dr. Ernie Ward. 

“22 percent of dog owners and 15 percent of cat owners characterized their pet as normal weight when it was actually overweight or obese. This is what I refer to as the “fat pet gap” or the normalization of obesity by pet parents. In simplest terms, we’ve made fat pets the new normal.” 

The changing bodyscape of Americans is distorting our idea of what is healthy. Obesity has become normalized and it's hard for many to see it not just in themselves but in their pets now, too!

Comments

  1. That is downright scary! Not only do most Americans over eat but we stuff our pets with too much food too. Thanks for sharing this. I never would have thought about it otherwise.

    Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Averyl!

    I just found your blog, and I love all the timely information. I too have found that eating food as close to its natural source as possible, alot of movement throughout my day and a few simple exercises has helped to the lose the last 10 pounds that nothing else could seem to budge!

    I look forward to your book very very much! I too collect vintage cookbooks, and have a love for the history and simplicity of the earlier years!

    Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  3. Michelle- Welcome! Congratulations on losing those ten pounds by eating healthily and moving around! I appreciate your feedback and hope you'll keep stopping by. Enthusiastic visitors keep me motivated as I write. :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Comments are now closed on Outdated By Design which was retired in April of 2017. I am leaving my blog archives online. If you need to reach me please use the handy contact form. Thanks!