"If you aren't sparkling people won't understand what you're saying."

I just found out that a lady with whom I visited once a week for over a year at a local assisted living facility has passed away. She was very dear to me.

Sometimes, because I have so many interests that are outdated, I am able to converse more easily with folks much older than I am. I love to learn from them.

During our visits we talked about her life in the 1950s and 60s, Sinatra, shopping, old movies, and as she liked to call it, "junkin'" otherwise known as "antiquing" or "yard sale-ing." I'm an avid picker and love to go to flea markets, estate sales and the like. I'd tell her about my adventures and often brought her something from my travels. One such gift was a pair of framed "Pinkie" and "Blue Boy" prints to hang in her room. She spoke about having them long ago and how she missed them. She also loved to wear flashy jewelry, beads, bangles and lovely sequined ensembles. I often brought her pieces of vintage costume jewelry I had purchased that I didn't have the courage to wear. She said I reminded her of Barbara Streisand from the movie "The Way We Were" because I was always "fighting" for something (and yes, I had told her about my book.)

One time I was anxious about speaking publicly against a cause important to me. She said I should borrow one of her gowns when I made my appearance because: "If you aren't sparkling people won't understand what you're saying."

I thought that was so cute and I think it's true!

I'm sharing this with you because if you love vintage there are many lonely "vintage" people in "homes" near you who would love to share their wisdom from the past. Please consider volunteering as a friendly visitor. You might wonder why you hadn't done it sooner!

Comments

  1. What a thoughtful post! All of my grandparents have now passed and I miss them dearly, volunteering would be a great idea! Not only could we discuss a time and place I have great facination with, but it would feel so nice to make someones day a bit brighter!

    Thank you to both yourself and Sarah for your responses yesterday, as far as my dizzy head goes I really do drink a ton of water and tea! I will look into the iron aspect of this.

    PS I love to sparkle, I agree with your freind 100%!

    Michelle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It makes me happy to think that you will consider volunteering! It's so rewarding! Plus you do seem to have a sparkling personality that shines through in your comments!

      Delete
  2. What a thoughtful post! All of my grandparents have now passed and I miss them dearly, volunteering would be a great idea! Not only could we discuss a time and place I have great facination with, but it would feel so nice to make someones day a bit brighter!

    Thank you to both yourself and Sarah for your responses yesterday, as far as my dizzy head goes I really do drink a ton of water and tea! I will look into the iron aspect of this.

    PS I love to sparkle, I agree with your freind 100%!

    Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awwh thanks!
    My brother does volunteer work with the elderly, he brings in cats and dogs to spend time with them, he really loves it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awwh thanks!
    My brother does volunteer work with the elderly, he brings in cats and dogs to spend time with them, he really loves it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Averyl, I'm sorry to hear of your friend's passing. She was a lucky lady to spend her last months talking with you. So many younger people don't realize that when that generation is gone we will lose a lot of our culture.

    Michelle, sorry your dizziness can't be solved simply by drinking water. I hope you find a doctor who can help you. There are some good ones out there but they are hard to find.

    Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  6. Averyl, I'm sorry to hear of your friend's passing. She was a lucky lady to spend her last months talking with you. So many younger people don't realize that when that generation is gone we will lose a lot of our culture.

    Michelle, sorry your dizziness can't be solved simply by drinking water. I hope you find a doctor who can help you. There are some good ones out there but they are hard to find.

    Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good morning!

    I hope you had a lovely weekend!
    I was forgetful in giving my condolences to your regarding the passing of your dear friend. Sparkles never fade and I am sure she is still making people smile!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello! Thank you, I did. We've had nice weather and I was able to enjoy it. I will be writing a post about it soon. (I tend to post less as the weather gets nicer since I spend more time outside. In Maine we have long winters! You're in Canada so you can relate.)

      "Sparkles never fade" is cute and you're right. Thank you for your kind wishes.

      Delete
  8. Good morning!

    I hope you had a lovely weekend!
    I was forgetful in giving my condolences to your regarding the passing of your dear friend. Sparkles never fade and I am sure she is still making people smile!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello! Thank you, I did. We've had nice weather and I was able to enjoy it. I will be writing a post about it soon. (I tend to post less as the weather gets nicer since I spend more time outside. In Maine we have long winters! You're in Canada so you can relate.)

      "Sparkles never fade" is cute and you're right. Thank you for your kind wishes.

      Delete

Post a Comment