Size Zero Tolerance for Vanity Sizing

Many websites have attributed this quote to Marilyn Monroe:

“To all the girls that think you’re fat because you’re not a size zero, you’re the beautiful one, its society who’s ugly.”

Marilyn Monroe passed away in 1962. Since size "zero" is a modern invention of vanity sizing, it's highly unlikely that she ever stated that.

Because a current-day size "zero" is a 1950s 10-12, and each manufacturer has their own sizing gimmicks, we can't use their measurements to determine a healthy weight. Why not strive to be among healthy beautiful ones and use scientific metrics?

Comments

  1. Averyl, interesting! I wonder if the Marilyn Monroe quote was adapted from a real quote. A lot of people think she would be considered fat now. Ironic really as as a culture we are much larger than people were in the past.

    Is it possible to post the first image so it's more readable? I tried to make it bigger but it got blurry.

    Sarah H.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sarah, the common statement I've read in many places online is that Marilyn Monroe was large because she wore a size 12 or 14, but people familiar with vanity sizing get that a 1950s 12 is much smaller today. However I don't know what size she actually wore. As far as the quote being adapted from a real quote, I'm not sure, either.

      As far as making the first image larger, I enlarged the relevant sizing section to the right of it so you can read the dimensions in question. I plan to use other aspects of the Sears insert in the future so don't want to post the larger size at this point in time. ;)

      Delete
    2. She had a 23" waist. 10 here is listed as 24 1/2". So I guess she was an 8.

      Delete
  2. I have read somewhere that it is believed Marilyn Monroe averaged around 114 pounds. Her amazing curves did not equal being overweight.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I knew it! I weigh 30 lbs more now than I did 10 years ago and wear a size smaller! I always thought something was suspicious! Thankfully, I'm now taking the weight back off...too much diabetes and high blood pressure in my family. Thanks for all the info!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment