What bad habits of "today" would you like to leave behind in 2013?

Let's bring in the New Year with positive thoughts and actions for a healthier you the 1950s way!

According to WebMD, the average American gains 1-2 pounds during the holiday season and usually doesn't take it off. Consuming a "mere" extra average of 115 calories a day in the course of two months without exercising to compensate equals 7,000 additional calories which equals two pounds of weight gain.

The heavy weigh of today involves a mix of denial (it's not your fault, the dryer did it, etc.) and self-derision followed by starvation diets that rarely work and maybe an expensive membership to a gym you'll visit only a few times in January. Usually that proves depressing and then you give up and the pounds stay.

In the 1950s, a couple of pounds was a big deal! Here's why: Those pounds add up or are an unwanted addition to a growing problem. I've never seen the word "only" in front of any mention of weight gain in my hundreds of sources from the 1950s. They knew that the journey to becoming overweight begins with a single pound. 2013 tell us it's OK because we "only" gained two pounds.

Denial doesn't work. The 1950s way is to acknowledge the facts and then take action. If you gained weight, accept it, and then decide if you want to stick with a plan or have the fat stick.

Why not be good to yourself 1950s style and step on the scale, cut back the calories as needed, shun unwholesome foods and move around more.

What bad habits of "today" would you like to leave behind in 2013?

Comments

  1. Averyl, your post made me think about eating healthy in a different way. Thank you!!

    I'm going to leave behind my habit of "oh, it's just a bite...it's just a little treat...oh, it doesn't count!" None of these thoughts help me because I always feel bad later and it counts to my body!

    Happy New Year! :)

    Sarah H.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We can "fudge" the math in our minds but our bodies never get the math wrong. I'm glad my post was helpful to you!!

      Delete
  2. Happy New Year Averyl!

    This post is so timely...living in a very cold climate, and in a small town to boot has made me a bit unhappy..i have been lazy and not watching how much or what I had been eating like I had before. BUt its a new year, with a new positive attitude.

    Thank you Averyl! Michelle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Michelle! :) I am so glad to see you back here.

      I am sorry you're in a bit of a winter funk. I, too, live in a very cold climate and while where I live isn't exactly small town it isn't like where I grew up- NYC. It's so easy to slip into the winter doldrums, feel blah and find "comfort" in too much and the wrong kinds of food.

      You've always had a positive attitude from what I've seen here; guess we all may need a tune-up sometimes, especially right after the holidays. :)

      Delete
  3. I want to leave eating when I am not hungry and eating until I am over full behind.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Michelle, the winter doldrums can be tough. I love to bake to relax when it's cold outside so I'm familiar with winter eating challenges. I just read somewhere that standing by a window in direct sunlight for 10 minutes a day can really help.

    Good luck!

    Sarah H.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you ladies! I have missed your postive affirmations!
    I basically moved from Vancouver, a population of over a million to a town in Northern Alberta with a population of sixty thousand! Culture shock! I have to admit that in hind sight my attitude has been less then stellar, not myself at all!
    But its a new year, and I am feeling myself again...so glad to be back!
    In fact I did the exercises, a few from the video you posted from Debbie, those few extra movements in the morning made me feel as though I was back on track!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Averyl,
    Good point! I never thought about people using the word "only" with weight gain. I've been eating way too many sweets since the end of November. I'm trying to get back on track. Normally, I will let myself have a a piece or two of 85% dark chocolate on a bad day. I've been eating cookies, cakes, candy and pies for over a month. The small weight gain is annoying but my skin keeps breaking out. I am struggling to get back into my normal diet. Another thing that must end for me this year is mindless spending. I'll say "It was ONLY ten/fifteen/twenty dollars" but it adds up so fast. My boyfriend just moved back to from out of state & I need to save. To start, I've been setting aside $5 a paycheck to stop me from thrift shopping. At the end of the year, I want to buy myself something nice. A new dress, new outfit, new gadget, etc. It's worked so far. I've only been to a thrift store once since early December. And I only bought what I needed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mindless eating and spending are connected because they involve instant gratification. Eat/buy now, pay later. Good for you for taking charge in 2013!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Comments are now closed on Outdated By Design which was retired in April of 2017. I am leaving my blog archives online. If you need to reach me please use the handy contact form. Thanks!