Turkey Meatloaf with Steamed Brussels Sprouts Recipe


Here's a recipe featuring Turkey Meatloaf! I love meatloaf! It's good hot and it's good cold, too!
For this recipe I use one pound of 94% fat ground organic turkey, 1/2 cup of instant oatmeal and one cup of Pomi Strained Tomatoes. These are truly only 100% tomatoes from Italy with no additives and come in a BPA-free tetra pack. I place all of the ingredients in a mixing bowl and add 1 tablespoon of Mrs. Dash Onion & Herb seasoning, 1 teaspoon of parsley flakes and 1/2 teaspoon of salt

I gently mix the ingredients together by hand with a large spoon until blended, and then turn the bowl sideways to gently scoop it onto a glass baking pan lightly greased with olive oil.  With the big spoon I shape the mound into a rectangle so that when it's finished it will be easy to cut it into four generous slices.

Next, I place the turkey loaf into a pre-heated 350 degree oven and bake for one hour. When ready, I remove the pan and let the meatloaf cool for about ten minutes before slicing. While waiting for the meatloaf to cool I empty a bag of frozen Brussels sprouts into a pot of boiling water and cook them no longer than two minutes so that they are hot, tender and slightly crunchy.

After I cut the meatloaf I serve mine with 1/2 cup sliced stuffed olives on top for added flavor. I do not use ketchup! I have to confess that I used to be addicted to ketchup to the point that I had more ketchup than meat at times! It is, after all, full of corn syrup and/or refined sugar.

As always, you can adjust your portions for calorie control. Shown are two slices (half) of the meatloaf, 465 calories, with 1/4 cup of sliced stuffed olives, 80 calories, and 8 ounces of Brussels sprouts, 80 calories.

Comments

  1. Good morning Averyl!

    That meal looks absolutley delicious!
    The olives give a very nice 50's touch that I can appreciate, now I have a good idea for dinner!

    Michelle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good morning!

      Thank you! I have been nervous posting my recipes and pics because they are so humble looking despite being healthier than traditional versions and delicious.

      I love sliced olives!! It takes only a small amount to add a lot of flavor and that fifties touch. I'm glad this inspired you!

      Delete
  2. Yum! Looks simple and delicious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I hope you'll give it a try!

      Delete
  3. I am really enjoying the recipe posts. I have both lined up to try soon! I appreciate that you give the full menu and include portion size and calorie information. Since I often only cook for two, I also like that the recipes do not make a huge amount, or in the case of the roast, the extra is easily frozen for quick meals later. And please do not fear that your recipes are too humble. These are exactly the kind of menus I am looking for: healthier versions of classic, tasty comfort food displayed on pretty vintage dishes. I am through with complicated, "gourmet" feats in the kitchen! When I view your pictures, I can get excited about eating healthy (no dried-out baked chicken breast here!). Thanks again and looking forward to more!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This makes me very happy! So glad to hear it! Thank you!

      Delete
  4. I love this!

    Averyl, do you also have no Microwave like me? I think the microwave and the clothes dryer are the roots of all evil. Kidding, but truly my life is richer without them.

    Amy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!

      NO microwave!! But I do have a clothes dryer! You have me beat there. :)

      Delete
  5. Made this for dinner tonight and everyone flipped! I usually make my grandmother's recipe which also had green olives in it, but I like yours better...(sshhh...don't tell Mama!)It was much simpler to make with ingredients I had on hand, plus it was much less heavy and greasy and salty- but just as flavorful. Can't wait till you come out with your book. : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes!!! This is what I aim for- simple, easy, flavorful and healthy! I'm so glad they all flipped! Thanks for letting me know and your support!

      Delete
  6. Tried this recipe for my family - I forgot to add salt, but they didn't complain! They said it was really good and I thought it was fabulous, also. The consistency is great- not greasy at all. I didn't feel guilty for having a "generous" slice of it! Thanks, Averyl! Looking forward to more of your recipes.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment