A corny secret that might shock you




This blog post was originally published on Wednesday, February 29, 2012, but am updating due to this disheartening development: Monsanto Protection Acts slips through congress.

When I first came up with the idea to write American Women Didn't Get Fat in the 1950s, I envisioned an uplifting book full of vintage inspiration and wisdom. 

"We don't need the French women to look down their noses and tell us how to not get fat," I thought. "Our grandmothers did it just fine right here in the US in the 1950s. Time to represent good old grandma! I'll show them!"

But it was more than pretty concepts and long forgotten secrets of a slender lifestyle. I planned to compare the psychology of today to back then to show how much has changed, and much of what we call progressive is actually backwards thinking. 

That's how I started out but what I didn't expect was how far we've come from eating unadulterated food. Sure, I knew about chemcuisine-- those added ingredients to processed foods that prolong shelf life or add artificial flavorings. What I wasn't expecting was the extent of test tube food on our plates!

When genetically engineered foods/organisms (or "GMOs") were first introduced into the markets (and our bodies) in the late 1990s, I figured it was just a newfangled way to hasten the process of hybridization. That's the old-fashioned way of selectively breeding crops which entails placing a pair of desirable tomatoes together in a dark room. Then, play a little Barry White to get them in the mood...

OK, so botany isn't my specialty, but here is the point: The vast majority of food on the supermarket shelves in 2012 contains ingredients that contain man-made genes. Store-bought corn is one of the major crops that is almost guaranteed to be GMO unless it's certified organic. You won't know by simply reading labels or looking for a sticker on an ear of corn since there are no laws requiring GMOs to be labelled as such in the US. The government believes you have no need to know because they state that GMOs are "substantially" the same as non GM foods. Again, I'm not a botanist so I can't claim to know. However, I believe in informed eating choices and we can't do that unless we have the knowledge.

It's time to take back our kitchens, ladies. That's not me channeling Archie Bunker promoting the idea that we should stay in the kitchen. That's my own brand of feminism that believes we need to kick "The Man" OUT of it, or at least have him announce himself at the door.

Chew on that. : )

Comments

  1. Hello Averyl!
    Great post, I live in Canada and often I try to buy organic produce when they are available, the key being that they are in season where I live..which leaves me to eating mostly apples right now! You have got me thinking though, I am not sure about how our food labelling works as far as GM products. Food for thought!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Michelle, there really is a lot to think about! And thank you for your continued comments. I appreciate them.

      Delete
  2. You are very welcome, I really enjoy your blog and was very happy when I found it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Averyl, my doctor told me that she had read in one of her medical journals that the pesticide used for corn, if it's not organically grown, directly hinders the male reproductive system and can lead to infertility. Now just think about everything that contains corn and high fructose corn syrup. Yikes! Michelle, I hope food in Canada is better!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sarah that is alarming! Anyone who eats processed foods is eating loads of corn and its derivatives!

      Delete
  4. Sarah that is frightening news!
    That is just another very good reason to try to eat organic produce whenever possible. I do know that poultry raised in Canada, whether organic, free range or not, are not allowed to be fed any antibiotics.
    However, on the topic of GM foods, I have yet to find that out.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Whenever I read stuff about American food I am thankful that I live in the UK. No pig or cattle waste lagoons, no dead sea areas the size of NJ, organic has to be 95% organic, added sugar and GM ingredients have to be labelled etc. NO HFCS either. Still doesn't make us healthy though !

    ReplyDelete
  6. You should read up on the history & politics of High Fructose Corn Syrup. I believe that is far worse than GMOs.

    It is a complex and scary situation which started in the 70's exactly when our obesity began to rise. HFCS is in practically everything! (Bread, lunch-meats)Our bodies don't metabolize it as efficiently as other forms of sugar.

    I would love to know how much High Fructose Corn Syrup was used in the '50's. I'm not sure about how to find that information, though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've actually done a lot of research on HFCS, and you can find the answer to your question in my upcoming ebook. ; )

      Delete

Post a Comment

Comments are now closed on Outdated By Design which was retired in April of 2017. I am leaving my blog archives online. If you need to reach me please use the handy contact form. Thanks!