Obesity is now officially a disease

I have to go and update the section of my book where I talk about how this hasn't yet happened but seemed to be the next (illogical) step. What are your thoughts about this classification by the American Medical Association?


On a personal note I have had a lot on my plate and continue to work on my book when able. Also, I rescued a partial albino elderly guinea pig left for dead four months ago. He was in an apartment, abandoned and alone in a filthy tank with no food or water. The person who found him put him on craigslist and I just happened to see the listing and brought him home. He had a broken tooth, bugs and a few other issues.

I've had guinea pigs all of my life--growing up in NYC I wasn't allowed to have dogs in my apartment and I became fond of them--and he is one of the most affectionate pigs I've ever owned. I named him Casper. Now my little guy has a bladder stone and will be having surgery on Friday so as you can imagine I am concerned about him.

Comments

  1. Best wishes to Casper and how wonderful that you found him and are giving him the love and care he deserves.

    I can't even read the link. I guess, in my non-medical opinion, obesity is both a symptom and a cause OF disease. Someone may have an undiagnosed, condition such as insulin resistance, for years, and not understand why she has a huge appetite, uncontrollable cravings, and episodes of binge eating -- the resulting condition of being overweight/obese is a symptom. The obesity itself may then cause disease such as diabetes 2 or heart disease. Obesity is not something that just strikes out of nowhere; it's not a fluke thing -- categorizing it as a disease makes it sound as if it's a random thing over which we have no control. You and I both know that is BS.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Norma, and I agree with your assessment.

      Delete
  2. I agree with Norma that obesity can indeed be the result of an underlying medical condition or could be the result of a side effect from certain medications and/or medical treatments.

    Yet, I think classifying it as a disease will only make people use it as an excuse as to why they are obese. I have met some people that would be classified as obese say to me that their entire family is “big” and that it “runs in the family”. It’s as if it is something they have no control over and they make no effort to eat healthy or exercise because that’s just “the way they are because their family is”. I feel that more people will look at being obese the in the same light if it is now considered a disease.

    I feel that obesity is actually the cause of many diseases not a disease itself. I believe that it’s up to the individual to change their habits and get to the root cause as to way they are obese (if it’s not because of a medical condition), only the individual can choose to take the road to a healthy lifestyle.

    I wish Casper the best and a speedy recovery!

    Gabriela

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Gabriela. And I agree with you, too.

      Delete
  3. By classifying it as a disease, will that make a difference in the way insurance can cover certain procedures like gastric bypass? I am not in any way versed on how insurance works, so forgive me if I am way off.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am not an insurance gal either so I don't know the answer. But I suspect it will open up a big market for Big Pharma.

      Delete

Post a Comment