Don't "Pak" on the Pounds

My grocery store seems to be placing more and more junk food displays in places normally empty, obviously to increase impulse buys. But what really struck me is the concept of "Go Paks." I guess they think these are perfect for when you are on the go. Just grab and go to....where? The couch? Desk? Car? The office? Sometimes we get so busy multitasking and hustling about that it seems like we're very active when in fact we've been mostly seated. Also, notice that they are "mini" and "bits." Are we too lazy and harried to even chew now?!

Looking at the 50s for the concept of "on the go," I came across this 1950s commercial for "Pep" cereal that promised it would give teens the energy they needed until lunch.


"On the go" once meant action! It meant delving into your day with energy not distracted by snacking on ready-made highly processed snacks. We went from "on the go" meaning motion to constant munching thanks to manufactured food and marketing. What's also striking is that these "teen" demographic cereals are nothing like the cereals today that are more like milk and cookies. Notice, too that they weren't marketing to harried adults too busy to make their own snacks.

So back to the display. Even though we're adults who can think for ourselves, these impulse buys can be challenging to resist. They seem to bring out the kid in all of us who wants to raid the cookie jar.
 
If you feel like you can't resist those between-meal munchies, have you tried making yourself a veggie pack in advance? Maybe small bags of home popped popcorn with a drizzle of olive oil and dash of salt? What can you make yourself that's superior to supermarket schlock?

Comments

  1. So true! Bananas are my "on the go" snack as well. Not only nutritious, but filling as well. A blogger friend once quipped, "try fruit first," so when I want a snack I do just that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Excellent! Plus the "packaging" is biodegradable! : )

      Delete
  2. My favorite on-the-go snack is raw almonds or baby carrots. Trader Joe's sells a big bag of serving size almond packs, which I must admit, helps me to eat the right amount, even though it's a little less cost effective. I just keep it in my car so I can grab one each morning and it's not tempting me in the house! A baggie of carrots and some hummus in a small tupperware container is also easy to throw in my purse to munch on during my commute from one side of the city to the other (at red lights - safety first!) It really helps with the temptation to drive through Starbucks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yum! I love carrots and hummus, and also peanut butter. I always have baby carrots on hand for my guinea pigs so I sometimes "steal" some from them. ; )

      Delete
  3. Really enjoying your book and blog. I know people want 'resources' for the statements you make, but I get a lot from your 'pay attention' pointers! I'm currently battling my thyroid, and believing that eating such healthy foods will help my health as well as getting rid of the extra weight. (all of my other blood work came back as excellent, and I am 100% sure it is due to cooking homemade!) Hope you have the time to keep up your blog, love it!! (also did you ever post your Cheat Sheet on line? Is it part of the
    Kindle book and I just skimmed over it?)
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Lisa! So glad to hear this, thank you! The "Cheat Sheet" is in my book but not online; it's in the table of contents. : )

      Delete
    2. (I would tell you a page number but kindle doesn't have any.)

      Delete
  4. Averyl, good to hear your book is doing well! I'm not surprised. :)

    Regarding those snacks at the registers- they're made to fit in your car's cup holder! Seriously, like we need more distractions while driving. I don't know if those cups are made for kids' cup holders or for adults but back in the 1950's I don't think cars even came with cup holders. A car was for driving- simple as that. Now it's for dinner too!

    Sarah H.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Sarah. : )

      You're right! I missed that they're made to fit in a car's cup holder! "A car was for driving- simple as that. Now it's for dinner too!" So true! In the 50s meals eaten in cars were on trays attached to the cars parked at the drive-ins. The idea that you watch movies and eat junk on the way to grandma's, soccer or work wasn't the norm. Distracted- and fattening driving- is the way of today!

      Delete
  5. There are definitely snacks and garbage everywhere! I don't know if you have kids but one of the first things any sports or after school program gets organized is the snack list. Every family has a game that they are supposed to bring a snack and drink for all the kids. My kids are at games for two hours tops, cant we just go home and have a snack?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Maggie! I don't have kids but not long ago did a post in response to an article on school snacks and how some mothers were chastised for saying "no" to junk food snacks:

      On being a scandalous and saucy outcast for saying "no"

      I laughed at loud at: "My kids are at games for two hours tops, cant we just go home and have a snack?" Excellent question!

      Delete
  6. Maggie Ely, I agree 100%! I'm the manager of my son's travel soccer team and didn't organize a snack list. I asked the parents, pushing the issue of allergies as a reason not to have team snacks, what they thought and they all agreed not to have them. I bring fruit or nuts for my son to eat in the car if the game is far away.

    I was so happy this year when the school district required an unpackaged fruit or veggie for school snacks. Finally my son isn't the only student bringing a healthy snack!

    Averyl, I forgot about the whole drive in food of the 50's. But that was more of an event, not every day life. Unfortunately our weekend and after school schedule sometimes requires us to eat in the car. I let my kids do it so they have a healthy option like cut up veggies, fruit, or a sandwich and don't end up eating junk out of vending machines.

    Sarah H.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely re drive-in food just being an event.

      Delete

Post a Comment