American Girls Entered Puberty Later in the 1950s

1950s Puberty PSA

If you've been reading my blog for a while or you've read my book, you're familiar with the focus on obesity today being about "real" and "normal" women versus "unhealthy" which is disputed by "Health at Every Size" and similar movements. Yet how can anyone deny the impact of obesity on girl's and women's health when Early Puberty in Girls Linked to Obesity...Again?

In the 1950s girls entered puberty around ages 12-13 according to the PSA above. (Also notice that the narrator refers to some of the children as "fat.") Today?
The authors of the new study followed over 1,200 girls, starting at age 6 to 8, in three metropolitan areas: the San Francisco Bay Area, Greater Cincinnati, and New York City. They monitored breast development over the next 7 years. The median age of breast development was 8.8 for African-American girls, 9.3 for Hispanic girls, 9.7 for Caucasian girls, and 9.7 for Asian girls.
Although they didn't prove causality,  “The obesity epidemic appears to be a prime driver in the decrease in age at onset of breast development in contemporary girls,” wrote the authors. Other suspected factors are toxins in our environment and food.

Comments

  1. So many studies, so few changes.

    We don't need no stinkin studies...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Averyl, I spent an entire day at work sneaking a read of your blog--I love it! Am a total fangirl now. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lily! Welcome to my blog and thank you! : )

      Delete
  3. Averyl, I meant to comment when you first posted this but it slipped my mind. I remembered when I was out shopping today looking for pads for my daughters, ages 15 and 13. It's hard to find them for teenage girls. I remember buying Stayfree Minipads when I was young and they must have phased them out because I couldn't find them when my oldest got her period a couple of years ago. Anyway what I find strange is that girls are getting their periods earlier and most of what's available are adult size feminine products. That doesn't even make sense! I finally found them at Target. I think I must have bought them there last month but I was hoping a closer store would carry them. They're U by Kotex in a sparkly package with a cute design, if anyone else needs some!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How strange! Thanks for passing that along for others. : )

      Delete
  4. Ps- that was me, Averyl! (I don't share my minipad drama with just anyone!)

    Sarah H.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Comments are now closed on Outdated By Design which was retired in April of 2017. I am leaving my blog archives online. If you need to reach me please use the handy contact form. Thanks!