Sauerbraten (German Pot Roast) & Potato Dumplings, Woman's Day January 1957

4 pounds of lean shoulder pot roast (2,880 calories)
2 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon ginger
2 cups cider vinegar
1 cup frozen chopped onions (45 calories)
2 tablespoons mixed pickling spice
2 bay leaves
1 teaspoon black pepper
1 teaspoon ground cloves
2 tablespoons maple syrup in place of 1/3 cup sugar (100 calories)
7 ounces potato flakes (735 calories)
1 tablespoon heavy cream/water in place of 1/2 cup milk (100 calories)
1/4 cup oat flour to thicken gravy (100 calories)
1/2 cup oat flour in dumplings (200 calories)
2 eggs (160 calories)
1/4 cup frozen chopped onions (25 calories)
2 cups sliced boiled carrots with 1/4 tablespoon butter (160 calories)
Parsley flakes

I followed the instructions except for the substitutions mentioned above. To shave off calories and fat, I didn't use gingersnaps nor make breadcrumbs for the dumplings. I also did not brown the meat in fat before cooking.

 The marinade before I put it in my fridge for three days.

The recipe states it makes four servings but that would be a LOT of calories! Six servings are 750 calories each (shown below) or you can halve the serving for twelve servings at 375 calories each.

My husband LOVED this dish! True to the caption below the photo of the housewife pouring gravy, he loves lots and lots of it. I thought it was delicious and different with the sour aspect. If I make it again I will use one less cup of vinegar, though. I have never made potato dumplings before and am very excited about future possibilities with them such as serving them in chicken soup!

Comments

  1. I am definitely going to try your subs for the potato dumplings. I love them but almost never make them since they don't seem the best calorie value. I can't wait to give this a try!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I forgot to mention that I use Bob's Red Mill potato flakes which are free of sulfites:

      http://www.bobsredmill.com/potato-flakes.html

      I hope you enjoy them! : )

      Delete
    2. I forgot to mention that I use Bob's Red Mill potato flakes which are free of sulfites:

      http://www.bobsredmill.com/potato-flakes.html

      I hope you enjoy them! : )

      Delete
  2. Averyl, that looks delicious!! Four servings sounds like they'd be huge. I thought servings were smaller in the old days! I've encountered this too in my vintage cooking though. The amount on your plate looks perfect to me.

    Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  3. Averyl, that looks delicious!! Four servings sounds like they'd be huge. I thought servings were smaller in the old days! I've encountered this too in my vintage cooking though. The amount on your plate looks perfect to me.

    Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  4. ok ok... how did you make the gravy? :o)

    ~lisa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lisa. : ) I let the juices from the meat cool, then mixed a small amount of the juices in a cup with the oat flour to prevent lumps. I then blended it with the rest of juices in a pot and heated it on medium low, stirring frequently.

      Delete
  5. ok ok... how did you make the gravy? :o)

    ~lisa

    ReplyDelete
  6. click *like*
    :o)

    Thanks.... oatflour?? hmm.. Have to look into that one!

    ~lisa

    ReplyDelete
  7. click *like*
    :o)

    Thanks.... oatflour?? hmm.. Have to look into that one!

    ~lisa

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm curious about why you use frozen onions in your recipes, instead of fresh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. http://snarkfreecookery.blogspot.com/p/what-is-snark-free-cookery.html

      "Wholesome

      "When open for the season I shop at the farmer's market in my Maine seaside town and buy in-season produce at my local grocer. Off season I make frequent use of minimally processed frozen produce.

      "Frozen vegetables are often fresher than those on the shelf (off season) since they are generally blanched and packaged shortly after they've been harvested. Also, many have been chopped, saving you time with prep and clean-up."

      Also, I hate the way my hands smell after cutting onions.

      Delete
    2. http://snarkfreecookery.blogspot.com/p/what-is-snark-free-cookery.html

      "Wholesome

      "When open for the season I shop at the farmer's market in my Maine seaside town and buy in-season produce at my local grocer. Off season I make frequent use of minimally processed frozen produce.

      "Frozen vegetables are often fresher than those on the shelf (off season) since they are generally blanched and packaged shortly after they've been harvested. Also, many have been chopped, saving you time with prep and clean-up."

      Also, I hate the way my hands smell after cutting onions.

      Delete

Post a Comment