Vintage Maine Recipe: Stuffed Tri-Color Peppers / Dorothy Marr's Macaroni Stuffed Peppers


Inspiration: A recipe card found in a folder filled with dozens of others from the Portland, Maine Wheaton Club, 1940. I did a web search for the club and found this tidbit: News Of Women's Organizations SOCIETY PORTLAND SUNDAY TELEGRAM. PORTLAND, MAINE, MARCH 13, 1949 Gladys Merrill, Editor; Jacquelyn E. Cole, E. Anderson Bulger Reporters. Mrs. Burland Hawkes Appointed Hostess For Wheaton Club Event. Mrs. Burland Hawkes will be hostess when the Portland Wheaton Club holds a dessert-bridge on Tuesday. 


I used Dorothy Marr's Macaroni Stuffed Peppers as inspiration for Averyl's Gluten-Free Stuffed Tri-Color Peppers.


Ingredients:

2 each of sweet red, yellow and orange peppers instead of green (255 calories)
4 "Real Foods" organic corn thins (138 calories)
6 oz Sam Mills dry corn macaroni, pre-cooked weight, boiled and drained (607 calories)
1/2 package Pomi strained tomatoes (96 calories)
4 oz organic hard Cheddar cheese, freshly shredded (440 calories)
2 oz Parmesan cheese, freshly shredded (220 calories)
Mrs. Dash table blend
Dried parsley
Paprika
Fresh ground pepper

Instructions:

Remove the tops and stems from the peppers after they've been washed. Remove the seeds and save the edible portions you've trimmed off in a baggy for healthy treat. You can prepare the peppers sliced length-wise if you prefer. For this recipe I will show you both. Place them in a pot of water and boil for five minutes then drain. Place the corn thins in a small bowl and crush with a hand masher to create "bread crumbs." Gently combine the cooked macaroni, shredded Cheddar and bread crumbs in a bowl with a couple of shakes of Mrs. Dash, and a few shakes of Paprika. In a glass or ceramic baking dish pour one half of the Pomi strained tomatoes to fill the bottom, add about 1/2 cup of water (or more if you want it to be closer to tomato soup from original recipe) and blend together. Stuff the peppers and place them in the pan. Place the shredded Parmesan on top of each and then sprinkle some parsley and extra paprika on top.

Bake uncovered in a pre-heated 350 degree oven for about 35 minutes. Serve with freshly ground black pepper and salt to taste.


Calories: 

Nature generally isn't uniform which was certainly the case with my peppers. Assuming they are pretty close in size, each stuffed pepper has approximately 295 calories.

I thought they were delicious although next time I may water down the strained tomatoes further. I hope you enjoyed the first recipe in my blog! I will aim to update every Sunday, and more if possible. I also plan to include posts with helpful tips and hints. Let me know what you think!

Comments

  1. Thank you for a fabulous-sounding recipe, Averyl! The photos are so wonderful that I'm imagining I can smell the roasted peppers right through the screen. I have sundried tomatoes in oil that I had planned to use with pasta, but now I think I will use in this recipe. What a great, nourishing, healthful dinner this will be.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Beal! Thanks! Your idea sounds delicious. : ) I'd love to hear how it turns out.

      Delete
  2. Looks wonderful!! I'll have to try it. :)

    Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  3. Averyl, my apologies for posting a question to you prior to clicking your link on Gluten-Free! I saw it and read your message on this topic so now I get it. Thanks for all you do!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chrissy, you have no reason to apologize. I always appreciate your interest and comments. Thank you!

      Delete
  4. Very good. I'd say it's on the level of comfort food. I did the gluten full version, and I had everything on the shelf except the peppers. I added ground meat because I couldn't think of a entree to round it out. I was excited to try this because I've never thought about using pasta instead of rice in the stuffing. It's going to be my new winter rotational side dish when I do roast chicken or pot roast. I'll nix the ground beef then.
    Vienna Brewer

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for reporting back, Vienna!

      Delete
  5. The first recipe is very close to our family recipe except we use rice instead of macaroni. These days I make mine with spaghetti sauce instead of tomato soup and the addition of a lot of grated cheese, corn niblets, and hot sauce. I usually make this type of thing when I have leftover taco meat or leftover sloppy joe meat. My kids and husband love it and it makes a large filling casserole with not much meat which is a good thing for the budget.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment