Vintage Booklet: Nutrition Advice for Kids, 1970s vs Today Part II, Mr. Peanut

Copyright 1970, Standard Brands Inc.
Earlier I blogged about a far-out booklet, Mystery at the Food Power Tower from the 70s to illustrate the differences in advice to kids about proper nutrition and a healthy weight. Here we have another glimpse through the Monocle of Mr. Peanut. The present-day CDC advises kids to NOT count calories. (So, should you "count calories?" Nah. It's easiest to just follow a healthy eating style and pay attention to your body).


Mr. Peanut advises kids that YES, you should count calories but here we also see the importance of weighing in (although Mr. Peanut doesn't hold back his displeasure of what he sees!)

Here we see TV used an example of what can lead to weight gain if enough energy isn't burned otherwise, or food consumption isn't lowered to match a sedentary lifestyle.


A calorie chart is provided so kids and their parents can use it as a guide.

Comments

  1. Ah Mr. Peanut. He's a classic. I remember asking my mom to order me some pants with Mr. Peanut on them. It was one of those promotions where you had to mail in a couple of can labels or something. My kids don't believe that I wore peanut pants!

    But regarding your post- I love how the company is using their mascot to promote health and the product is actually healthy. Today so many junk food companies market their products as healthy just because they remove a bit of sugar. A cookie is still a cookie, right? The idea of eating less if you are less active just makes sense. It's simple and straight forward, just like Mr. Peanut!

    Thanks for sharing.
    Sarah

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true about today's marketing junk to kids, Sarah! I had to Google the "peanut pants" to see what they look like. : )

      Delete
    2. Did you find them?? I never thought to do that. I'm off to Google right now!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Comments are now closed on Outdated By Design which was retired in April of 2017. I am leaving my blog archives online. If you need to reach me please use the handy contact form. Thanks!