1950s Macaroni & Cheese

This recipe is from "The New Cook's Cook Book" with graphics from the cover shown above.




I used:
8 oz of whole grain non-GMO corn pasta (800 calories)
5 oz of freshly shredded extra sharp cheddar cheese (550 calories)
1 tbsp butter (100 calories)
1 tbsp oat flour (25 calories)
1 cup buttermilk from powder (80 calories)
1/2 teaspoon spicy mustard
Few shakes of dehydrated onions, salt and pepper to taste
I did not add bread crumbs

This was how it looked in the baking pan when ready:

My husband and I like this a lot. After he took a bite his eyes lit up and said: "THIS is macaroni & cheese!" He wants it again for dinner tomorrow night. I served it with lightly cooked broccoli florets on the side. Makes four servings with 390 calories each.

Comments

  1. Your photo looks good, Averyl! I think I'll try the 1950's recipe. I've been looking for a good mac and cheese recipe for a long time and this looks like it. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I made it again, only this time I mixed in and then baked the broccoli with it. It was great! I think you'll like this recipe.

      Delete
  2. Looks like another one to try, Averyl! Thanks for passing it on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for letting me know you'll give it a try!

      Delete
  3. This looks really good! Sounds yummy with broccoli too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks like a great recipe and enhances your "American Women Didn't Get Fat in the 1950's philosophy. This recipe using 8 oz of pasta and 4 ounces of cheese serves 6-8 people is reasonably sized portions. I will try this one for my new recipe of the week.

    Yours,
    Amy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Sarah and Amy! I have been making it once a week.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello!

    I made this recipe last night for dinner. I did change a few things, I used Cabot Extra Sharp White Cheddar cheese, shell pasta and instead of white onion, I used a handful of chopped green onion.

    I doubled the recipe so I could put one casserole in the freezer for a later date. And let me tell you.....it was delicious! Thank you for sharing.....I served the mac n cheese with a nice green salad. This is going to replace another recipe I have used for years....passed down from my great grandmother. Sorry! lol

    I would post a picture....but I haven't a clue how. :(

    Deanne



    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Deanne, thank you for trying the recipe and letting me know the outcome along with your variations! I am very happy that you enjoyed it! I am not sure how I feel about being partially responsible for the replacement of your family heirloom recipe, ha! ; )

      Delete
    2. Oh, there isn't a way to post a pic in the comment, but if you have an Instagram account or similar you can post a link to your photo that way. : )

      Delete

Post a Comment