THIS is why I live in Maine!


(Heads up: Inelegant whining ahead. Feel free to skip over this first paragraph.) This past winter was brutal and morally degrading. Spring arrived yet the cold clung like a piece of toilet paper stuck to ones shoe. I've lived here many years so I'm not a rookie, but this was unlike anything I had experienced. Just when it seemed like winter stopped stalking spring and it finally got the hint, it'd smack us around some more. Basically it's been six months of getting the cold shoulder from beautiful weather!

Then, the first day of unmitigated beauty: highs in the 70s, a warm, salty breeze from the ocean, blue skies with ornamental clouds, walking along rugged paths in short sleeves only, and opening day for many of the charming historic inns and restaurants. I have been fighting fatigue for the past couple of months and I mentioned that taking a B Complex has helped. Well, sunshine and spending the day outdoors seemed to really help me snap out of it! I'm back in business!


Higgins Beach, shown in the pics above, is one of my favorite places and is only a ten minute drive from my house. 

video

Now, all I need is a field of flowers and a floppy hat and I'm going to change my name to "Sunshine."

I kid. That's a vintage hippie dress I picked up at an estate sale this weekend that I was trying on for fun but plan to sell. It's a early 1970s size five which is the equivalent of a contemporary size zero minus a winter's worth of snacks. I couldn't get the zipper all the way up in the back! The mandolin was a find from a fundraiser sale a few years ago. I can't play but I do anyway; I make up songs for my guinea pigs. At the same sale where I bought the dress I found this Fender acoustic guitar for the toal sum of ten bucks! 

Now all I need are some strings and talent and I'll be ready to take my show on the road.

Comments

  1. Beautiful dress! So what if you can't zip the back.

    Glad you're feeling better. :)

    Sarah

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sarah. Maybe I can start a new look-- the "open back" dress. :P

      Delete
  2. That picture is refreshing! It's close to 100 degrees and climbing out here! The brutal heat has started early this year - I always find myself biting my tongue when someone says global warming is a hoax! As for the "open back" dress...as long as it's not too low - I think you could work the look! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, I do feel for you because I don't like 100 degrees either. :(

      Delete
  3. We got warm here in KY and now it's chilly/cold again. Ugh.

    About guinea pigs, I had one once that I found at the dump. Somebody had left it next to a dumpster in a cage. Of course, I had to take him home, where he lived out the rest of his life.

    Love your hippie dress by the way, you should keep it. And hey, that Fender might be worth something, have you checked?

    Deb G
    KY

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Who are these "people?!" How could they be so cruel?? Thank you, Deb, for finding him and giving him a loving home.

      My guinea pig Casper was a rescue. He was elderly and abandoned in an apartment and was found without food or water in a filthy cage. The guy who found him placed an ad on craigslist for him. My pig Timmy was an abused foster from the shelter I (not much) later adopted. Chauncey was brand new (ha) when I adopted him.

      I did look the Fender up and that model sells for a couple hundred brand new. My husband wants to learn how to play so we're going to keep it. : )

      Delete
  4. I taught myself to play guitar and so can you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would love to learn except that I have chronic tendonitis which makes even writing painful sometimes, so I need to refrain from the refrains.

      Delete

Post a Comment