Personal Updates


This pic was taken a few days before my guinea pig, Chauncey suddenly became ill and had to be put to sleep. As upsetting and unexpected as it was, something horrible followed a few days later.

My guinea pig Tiny Tim stopped eating. It's not uncommon for guinea pigs to become depressed and stop eating after the loss of another beloved pig. They didn't share cages but they were right next to one another. Despite my hand feeding him he developed a bad case of bloat which is almost always deadly. I rushed him to the vet where he almost died. They had him on oxygen and his lips turned blue. His prognosis was poor and I didn't think he would make it through the night.

That was one week ago. I have been nursing my boy with belly massages on a heating pad and hand feeding him, including getting up in the middle of the night. He wasn't in any pain but just wouldn't eat. He fought me when I tried to feed him via oral syringe. It wasn't looking good and I was devastated. My pigs are my kids. But it seems like he has turned the corner this morning! He is eating on his own! He is acting more himself! I am praying his healing continues!


In addition to being sleep-deprived I'm fighting off a cold. My housemate caught it from work and you know how that goes. I'm pretty sure I'm looking a bit haggard right now so thankfully I was able to get a pic in front of my tree before the ensuing fiascos.

Some good news is that I mailed my 99 year old Nana a box of my Needhams and she loves them! EXCEPT!

"I bet these are fattening!"

"They're healthy."

"I don't care about healthy. How many calories do each of these have?"

That's my Nana! She has maintained her slim figure her entire life. Even at 99, she's still watching what she eats. She eats anything she wants in moderation and weighs herself every day

The package she sends me every year is due to arrive today via UPS. Inside is my stocking jam-packed with goodies!

I hope your pre-holiday preparations aren't too frantic...or fattening!

Comments

  1. Yea on Tiny Tim! He's a fighter, yes sir! Get plenty of vitamin C, per my friendly doctor, who I really like because she looks for healthy solutions over drugs - so hoping you get over that cold soon. Maybe some stress didn't help. Have peace in your days my dear. I like your Nana. She sounds smart and spunky! People live long in your family! donna

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad Tim is on the mend. Poor little guy. You and your tree look great! Feel better. Nettle tea really helps along with the vitamin C Donna mentioned.

    Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you, Ladies. Yesterday I had lots of citrus, herbal tea (thanks for the Nettle tip) and chicken soup. I feel much better today and T is still on the mend! Oh, and getting some sleep helped, too. :) :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. When it rains, it pours. Hope everyone recovers soon. I had two guinea pigs as a child and they are sweet animals. Sonja

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sonja, thank you. Yes they are sweet and I'm glad you got to experience it. I got my first guinea pig at age ten, he lived to be seven, and I've been smitten ever since.

      Delete
  5. You know my history with Guinea Pigs. Glad TT pulled through! Your Nana is a classic! Loved hearing about her. Happier Holidays moving forward, Averyl!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dr J! Yes I do know your history with them. And my Nana! :) She is sassy and sharp as ever. Thank you and I am looking forward to moving onto happier, sassier days myself. Happy holidays to you as well, friend!

      Delete
  6. Oh, I love your Nana! What an inspiration! And dear, sweet little Tim. I'm so glad he's doing better! I worry about my kitty Teddy. He is 16 years old, still doing well, but has gotten thin.

    You look great, Averyl!! I hope you have a blessed and wonderful Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Wow, 16 years! I hope you and your Teddy have a sweet Christmas. :)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Comments are now closed on Outdated By Design which was retired in April of 2017. I am leaving my blog archives online. If you need to reach me please use the handy contact form. Thanks!