Cast iron cookery in my kitchen today. I didn't know THIS was possible!


I love popcorn, and had always used an air popper. I love the taste and texture of oil fried popcorn and discovered that I can pop it in a cast iron dutch oven! I was saving up for a fancy new stainless stove-top popper but now I can cross that off my list, yeah!


My dutch oven is from the 1950s. I had kind of forgotten about it until I got into my WWI and Great Depression recipes that have some deep frying. That's what gave me the idea for popcorn. 

All I had to do was put the heat on medium, add two tablespoons of oil with two kernels of popcorn to let me know when it was at the right temp for popping. Once it was good to go I added a half cup of popcorn, placed the glass lid on top, watched the action and shook the pot so the popcorn wouldn't burn. (This is exercise, people!)

In case there was a fire I keep a fire extinguisher under my sink. And did you know that according to this study, your fire extinguisher might make you fat? I don't deny the presence of obesogenic chemicals in the environment or in junk food...

Anyway, this just came out of my oven:

Very good, wholesome and hearty 1936 Great Depression muffins made without eggs, sugar, dairy or wheat flour. The recipe will be in my book. (My kitchen is getting crowded with delicious 1930s cookery.)

Comments

  1. I love homemade popcorn made on the stove. I used to have an air popper but I prefer the stove. It's yummy cooked in coconut oil!

    I read that article you linked to. That's scary! Every time we turn around it's something else.

    And the muffins look yummy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the tip. I was thinking I'd like to give coconut oil a try.

      The muffins are excellent! I'm eating one right now. :)

      Delete
  2. Popcorn is my go to snack!! Most people don't realize it's whole grain. Okay, I make it air-popped, but I have a persona to live up to :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Popcorn was a basic food group for me in grad school and then a regular snack since. I've been using it in cooking(!) with the old recipes I've been testing.

      Delete
  3. Hi Averyl! I've been making popcorn on the stove since I found out microwave popcorn is so unhealthy. My kids resisted at first but now they brag to their friends that their mom makes popcorn "from scratch". Victory for mom! Sometimes we sneak it into the movies. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's co cute, calling it popcorn from scratch!

      Delete

Post a Comment