1950s Vintage Maine Recipe: Is it pizza? Bacon Quiche? Dinner? Breakfast?! It's Fou Fou!


I don't know anything about Mrs. Margaret G. Trinward other than this recipe of hers from the undated circa 1950s "The Fellowship Cook Book" from the Second Congregational Church in Norway, Maine, but the fact that she calls this a "lunch or evening snack" and named it "Fou Fou" makes me think she was a lot of fun to be around. I searched the web and couldn't find any other recipes like this by the same name.

Vintage 1950s Fou Fou (as found):

1 cup grated cheese, 2-3 cups milk, 1 chopped onion, 1 egg, 6 slices bacon, chopped, pepper, salt, poultry seasoning. Pour over buttered slices of bread, butter downward, on baking sheet. Bake at 400 degrees until brown.

Here's how I made it:

1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese: 440 calories
1 cup chopped onion: 45 calories
2 cups whole milk: 300 calories
2 large organic eggs: 140 calories
6 slices cooked turkey bacon: 240 calories
6 slices gluten-free oat bread: 420 calories
1 tbsp butter for bread: 100 calories

I lined a baking pan with the six slices of bread, buttered, then placed them in butter side down in an 11" x 7" baking pan. (Maybe you'll notice a missing crust. I was hungry.)

 I combined the chopped onions, cheese and cooked bacon pieces in a bowl.


In a separate bowl I beat the two eggs.


I added the eggs and milk to the bowl, mixed them together and it looked like milky soup.


I wondered if Mrs. Trinward knew what she was doing with this recipe because I was having my doubts, but from my past experiences with vintage cooking I've learned to trust the ladies! Surprising things happen!

I poured the mixture over the slices of bread and added celery salt, pepper, and rosemary.


The bread absorbed all of the milk and I could sense that it was going to be good. Once in the oven at 400 degrees, I could smell that it was going to be awesome! I let it bake for about forty minutes. When it first came out of the oven, the bread was bubbled up from steam, but after a few minutes it settled back down and looked like this:


The eggs and milk infused the bread through to the bottom which created layers.


The edges got nice and crispy. You can of course bake it a bit longer for a more golden experience.


How does it taste? Like a bacon pizza omelet quiche, or Fou Fou for short! I'm having this for dinner tonight with a tomato and vinegar salad on the side.


As prepared, makes six servings of Fou Fou with about 280 calories each.

Comments

  1. This recipe sounds a lot like my aunts' breakfast casseroles They made it to suit their tastes and what they had on hand. My mother made quiche, homemade crust and all. Always said the aunties used too many shortcuts. Ha ha. All versions were delicious to me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice! As a kid my great aunt made me quiche from scratch and I've always loved it. I wish I had her recipe!

      Delete
  2. I have to admit it looks very good, Averyl! I made quiche one time. Something about real men don't eat quiche and all that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Dr. J. : )

      (I had forgotten about that book until just now!)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Comments are now closed on Outdated By Design which was retired in April of 2017. I am leaving my blog archives online. If you need to reach me please use the handy contact form. Thanks!