Blue Skies and Pyrex: Vintage Kitchen Picking!


I've missed my blog! I had to take time away to rest before I can get to editing my cook book. Yesterday afternoon I sat on the rocking chair in my sunroom, listened to the one remaining a.m. oldies station and rumbling sky as a thunderstorm clouded out an unseasonably warm sunny afternoon. It was very soothing. Except for the weather report: Snow for Sunday!

For over two months seven days a week my kitchen was a working WWI - 1940 recipe testing facility from dawn until way past dusk. In order to force myself to take a break I've ordered a muumuu online! It's an assignment I gave myself. I'm going to treat mandated relaxation like a job complete with its own uniform (that does seem counter-intuitive and granted is a bit kooky). I'm definitely a Type A prone to overworking, so it's what I gotta do. We all could afford to stress less, don't you think? That's something I plan to cover in my book after my cook book.


I took a walk around my neighborhood this afternoon and snapped a pic of these clouds that look like they are speeding by. As for my vintage picking today, the pretty blue mixing bowl above is Pyrex. My cost: $1.


These cute little "Citrus Fruit Eating Gadgets" are the same starburst pattern as my flatware. My cost: $3.


I LOVE these vintage 1940s blue tint Pyrex Flameware glass saucepans with detachable glass handles! They look like they were never used. I bought them on sale at an antique shop, all three for $26. I especially like that they have the original paper labels.


I'm not comforted by the "For your protection" clause though, but I plan to use these on lower heat settings. I think they might be good for making pudding and white sauces.

I'll aim to update at least once a week. Have a great weekend!

Comments

  1. I loved the whole "mandated relaxation, put on a uniform (a muumuu!!!) treat it like a job" thing. It made me laugh out loud

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pack your spoons and head to sunny Florida for a real vacation from stress :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Florida is a lovely state but it's not for me. Alligators, etc. :)

      Delete
  3. Where did you find your muumuu? I think I need a relaxing uniform too! Ha ha. I saw today that Target has some Pyrex bowls that look inspired by their vinatge patterns. I prefer my real vintage bowls but like how Pyrex isn't forgetting its roots.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I got in on Amazon. : ) They have a nice selection. So does the Vermont Country Store.

      Re the Target Pyrex, it's a new brand called "Vintage Charm" made by the same company that owns Pyrex. BUT! They are calling it "Pyrex Inspired" and! Get this.......they are not oven safe unlike "real" Pyrex:

      WARNING

      It also appears to be made in China:

      Origin: China

      Delete
    2. (Click on the "use and care" at the above WARNING link to see it.)

      Delete
    3. I figured it wasn't as good as the real thing.

      Delete
  4. Some great finds there, Averyl! Love that blue bowl. Lately I've been interested in vintage pyrex. I hope to be able to find some.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment