1960s Vintage Recipe: Bacon & Broccoli Quiche (Leave out the bacon for a vegetarian dish!)


Quiche gained popularity in America in the late 60s and 1970s and I ate it often growing up in New York City. My aunt used to make it for me and it was a regular menu staple at home and local restaurants. For my inspiration I used a March 1969 Ladies Home Journal recipe as a starting point:


Looking at it the ingredients, 2 cups of milk seemed excessive and that was confirmed after I added one cup per quiche. I like mushrooms when they are sauteed but with a quiche being so rich I decided to add parboiled broccoli instead; I love broccoli with eggs and cheese! I like nutmeg but not in a quiche so I omitted that. As for "mock" bacon, I opted for turkey bacon in the quiche instead of sprinkled on top per the original directions. For saltiness I knew that the bacon would be adding sodium so 1/4 tsp is plenty. Salt can always be added later.

Ingredients for Turkey Bacon and Broccoli quiche:

Gluten-free 9" butter pastry crust from my own recipe in my upcoming Kindle cook book Thrifty Vintage Gluten-Free Recipes: 860 calories
3 oz thinly sliced Swiss cheese: 330 calories
1 cup whole milk: 150 calories
3 large organic eggs: 210 calories
1 tbsp oat flour: 30 calories
1/4 tsp salt
4 slices cooked and chopped turkey bacon: 140 calories
1 cup chopped parboiled broccoli florets: 30 calories

I decided to make two quiches so I doubled the recipe. I'm good with quiche two nights in a row!

Line the bottom of the pasty with the thin slices of Swiss, breaking them apart as needed so that the cheese completely covers the bottom. Then add the bacon and broccoli.


In a bowl add the eggs, milk, flour and salt, and either with a whisk or an electric mixer on low combine the ingredients until well blended and pour into the pie crusts.


Bake at 375 for about forty minutes. Test with a toothpick in the center.


As prepared 1/4 of a quiche has about 440 calories. It's really good cold, too! I agree with the original recipe-- it's lovely served with a tossed salad but I prefer it without bread due to the added calories.

Before you go, it's not too late to enter to win a free copy of my upcoming cook book!

Comments