Something Unexpected


Since November 2014, after I knew I would be getting divorced, I have been visiting the Marie Joseph Spiritual Center in Biddeford Pool, Maine for monthly non-denominational spiritual counseling with a wonderful, wise, compassionate nun.


After the two plus inches of spring snow yesterday, the warming sunshine felt so good! The scent of the sea was soothing.

I dined with some of the nuns at noon and told them about the cook book I'm about to publish. They have many guests who eat gluten-free, and they sent their chef over to talk to me. She was very enthusiastic about my book which was lovely to hear. I'm going to gift her a free copy that she said she'll use to cook for future guests. That made me feel great! Then she told me she has a box full of old cook books she no longer uses, and would I like to take some home?


Wow! I picked through and came home with these paperback delights:


One of the takeaways from cooking for and writing Thrifty Vintage Gluten-Free Recipes is that I have scaled back significantly on my meat intake and love it. Moving forward I plan to test and post many more vegetarian dishes from the 1960s and 70s, a groovy time for veggie cookery. Looks like there may be some goodies in here!

Comments

  1. That's so great on many levels, Averyl! The Spiritual Center has such a European look to it.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment