I can finally shelf the search!


The above photo is of the shelves in my home in the 1960s. I love everything about this (well, except the booze but the bottles do look elegant)! The albums, the radio, the wood grain speakers but most of all, two things: The statuesque black woman playing a small string instrument, and the incense burner where my mother burned a lot of sandalwood incense cones while playing the vinyl shown, especially The Beatles

I had a tumultuous childhood which resulted in my having to live with and manage some very negative triggers throughout my life. Over the years I've learned to offset and/or overpower them with positive associations. For whatever reason the memories of those two objects always helped me relax. The power of positive association is very strong, just like the power of negative triggers can affect some of us in a deeply destructive way. My goal is to always surround myself with as much positivity as possible and practical.

A few weeks ago at the flea market I saw the exact same (but not my mother's--she still has and uses it) cast iron incense burner! I was so thrilled! The seller is also one of my favorites there. She always has the most random, quirky gotta-have-its. If you ever make it to Maine, check out the Arundel flea market and ask for Linda's table.


I found a fantastic sandalwood cone incense that's not dipped into a synthetic fragrance. The brand is Triloka and they have been in business since the 1970s. The scent is so calming and helps me feel centered. But because it is still smoke I only burn it outside to keep it healthier. The bugs do not dig it so it keeps them away from me.


Over the years I have tried to find the same mystical black statue that I once believed kept loving watch over me from atop those shelves decades ago. I put in various keywords into ebay and nothing close turned up so I gave up. But after finding the incense burner I was inspired to try again and this time while searching ebay I found her! She was made in 1963 and is signed Austin Prod. on the bottom. She made it to me safely all the way from a little town in Iowa and here is where she now sits:


I'm working on growing my record collection this year because listening to good music, especially from the 60s and 70s, is some of the best therapy out there for me.

Do you have any positive childhood associations with the things currently on display or use in your home? 

(My next blog post will be a vintage perspective on the current "body positivity" movement, but due to exceptionally beautiful weather it might not be up for another week or two.)

Comments

  1. I'm sorry you had a difficult childhood, Averyl, but I'm glad you have found ways to mitigate the damage and grow from the experience!

    I have some toys from my childhood that are still fun for me to see, though I don't play with them, lol

    Who are your favorite singers that you are looking for records from? I might be able to help you with that :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you and thanks for asking! Beatles, Simon & Garfunkel, George Harrison, John Lennon, Frank Sinatra, Fleetwood Mac, basically classic and pop rock. :) I have had good luck with scoring LPs for cheap at yard sales but not the above mentioned artists which are in higher demand. However I just ordered four new Beatles LP reissues from Amazon as a treat to myself. I didn't realize until yesterday that they did that in 2012, and last year released them in mono.

      Delete
  2. The shelves could be right out of my childhood, including and especially the Tijuana Brass "Whipped Cream" album, one of my adolescent favorites (the music, the album cover, and of course Mr. Alpert himself, all very heady stuff for an impressionable yong teen. And it didn't help that I had a crush on a budding coronet player, ha, ha!). And the tall green and gold drinking glasses on your other shelves are very familiar. Either we or someone I knew had them. Were they part of a promotional set (Avon, or something?). Like your mother's items that give you comfort, I have several collectables from my parents, including a small ivory panther, a porcelain geisha girl...very delicate, and a Jim Beam bottle in the shape of a San Francisco trolley car. I have several other items, as well...all of them from the 1950s or 60s, and somehow they've made it through multiple moves without being broken! Thanks again for bringing up lovely memories! Lois

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have a good eye with those album covers!! The green and gold glasses are Culver glass, very upscale at the time and not a promotional giveaway type of thing. But it was very popular so it makes sense that it would look familiar. I'm pretty sure my grandparents had them which is why I snatched them up at an estate sale some years ago.

      I'm glad you have some treasures. :)

      Delete
  3. P. S. I forgot to add that I still have my Barbie dolls from 1960-61, Which I received as a 7th birthday present! I have the clothes, case, etc. (and not made worse for wear by my daughter playing with them!). I take them out and look at them every now and then and think about selling them on eBay or someplace, but can't seem to part with them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The sentimental value likely exceeds the monetary gain. I loved my Barbies! I have a mod 60s doll and her groovy clothing in my basement I should dig out. It was an estate find that bought to sell at some point. My Barbies and PJ doll (remember her? And Dawn dolls!) are long gone.

      Delete
    2. Loved the Instagram of your Mod 60s Barbie...that was a unique one, which I'd never seen! I had a firefighter paramedic Barbie in the 1990s. I bought it because I was working in EMS at the time, & I kept her unopened in the box, along with all of her accessories, and displayed it in my office, where it got a lot of comments. My young daughter at the time wanted me to take her out so she could play with her, which is another reason I left it at work! I think it's somewhere in my garage. I do remember Dawn and PJ dolls...I believe I had a Dawn, and also Storybook dolls. I never wanted a Chatty Cathy...my friend's suster had one, and it creeped me out, especially when it stopped working right! ;p

      Delete
    3. I accidentally deleted it so glad you got to see it! I also posted a video on my IG of my guinea pig dancing to Herb Alpert.

      Thanks for the inspiration today to have fun with more of the oldies and goodies in my house!

      Delete
    4. Ha, ha...have to check out your G.P. dancing to H.A.!

      Delete
  4. I just posted an update on my weight loss here:

    http://outdatedbydesign.blogspot.com/2014/10/000.html#comment-form

    Averyl, you can put this in the comments of an upcoming post, if you want, since this post is not very recent. I wanted to share my update with those who are interested, but I'm not sure if they would see it here at this point.

    I'm sorry for the difficult times you've had. I think your positive association concept is great. I have certain shows that I own on dvd that I watch when I'm having a difficult time. They immediately bring me back into a good space when I watch them.

    RL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, RL! great to hear from you! I will make mention of your update in my next post!

      Delete
    2. Thanks. I hope you are doing well.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Comments are now closed on Outdated By Design which was retired in April of 2017. I am leaving my blog archives online. If you need to reach me please use the handy contact form. Thanks!