Vintage Inspired Mexican Muslin Cotton Peasant Tops!

Hey all. I hope it's not too hot where you live. It's over 90 here in Maine!

I recently was on a quest to buy a colorful, embroidered Mexican peasant top made from a natural cotton, the kind that was very popular in the 1970s. I did a search on ebay, and this came up in the results:


A brand new made in China "vintage" 70s "Mexican" blouse. Right. Besides the yeahokwhatever factor, the tops weren't the look I was seeking. 

Then I came upon another seller offering new Mexican "100% cotton" tops. The model doesn't look happy about wearing them! I didn't like the look of the fabric which reminds me of nurse scrubs.


I noticed some other sellers offering very similar tops, also advertised as 100% cotton. In one such listing I spotted THIS:


So yeah, not 100% cotton and definitely not a natural ecru heavyweight fabric.

I do a lot of shopping on Amazon but I didn't have good luck for this particular quest there, either. The tops I saw were just like those on ebay. I read some reviews that confirmed that one vendor in particular was selling a cheap poly blend and not the advertised 100% cotton.

Then I got lucky. I found a vendor on ebay that is based in Mexico, and saw this beautiful top that I'm wearing in front of Tiny Tim's garden:



Unlike the other vendors that didn't picture the actual blouse you'd receive but instead included the disclaimer that what you get "will vary from what's shown," the seller showed a photo of the actual top. I could tell from looking at it that it was a true natural cotton, unbleached. It came with a hand woven belt, too. It was gorgeous and the price? Insanely low considering the artistry involved! Two weeks later (shipping can take awhile but worth the wait!) it arrived and I'm so happy with it that I ordered three more tops, all with different fits and embroidery. The seller combined shipping--normally $10 each piece--so I was able to save $20 on shipping all three. I'll update with pics when they arrive if there's any interest.

As for sizing, they provide the actual measurements when the garment is laying flat. No vanity sizing madness!

Here is a link to the seller's store. Let me know if you end up ordering from them and how it turns out! I'm in no way affiliated with them and don't earn any kickbacks. This is a legit review. : )

Comments

  1. Oh my gosh oh my gosh oh my gosh!!!! I know where this week's "pin money" is going. Thank you for doing the leg work and the honest review. Again, I love the blouse... and of course the garden.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Once again, my dear, you time-traveled back to my late high school, early college closet! Lived in these...short-sleeved and long (long-sleeved were called Mexican wedding shirts, as you probably know ). Enjoy your beautiful new purchases...your patience and perseverance paid off!
    Lois

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Lois! Your closet must have been a dream!

      Delete
  3. Hey, thanks! I needed a shirt for work and these are so pretty! Your garden is growing well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Stephanie! Glad it sparked an idea for your work wardrobe!

      Delete
  4. That looks so darn cute on you, Averyl. I think I had one in the 70's. These are popular again but I'm not sure I'm ready for it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Update: You can see the others I bought here.

    ReplyDelete
  6. When I was in high school and living in Texas we'd go across the boarder and buy similar Mexican dresses. They became so popular that the department store I was working in after school started to carry them. The detail is amazing and they were so comfortable. I wish I had kept them- although I doubt they'd fit. I should have kept my mom's!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That must have been so fun! Before I bought mine I asked my mother is she still had hers which she didn't.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Comments are now closed on Outdated By Design which was retired in April of 2017. I am leaving my blog archives online. If you need to reach me please use the handy contact form. Thanks!