Maine Wildlife Park Attean Family Pow Wow

The Maine Wildlife Park is another place I had yet to visit even though it's only a half hour away from me. 


The last Pow Wow I attended was a very long time ago in Seattle. I love Native American dance, drumming, flute and jewelry so today seemed perfect since I could experience both a pow wow and the park at once. Well, almost perfect: it was in the 90s and very humid with a heat index of 103!


Here is Wayne "enjoying" his very first senior discount ever! I made a thing out of it.


From their website: "Many of the animals at the Maine Wildlife Park were brought here because they were injured or orphaned, or because they were human dependent - raised, sometimes illegally, in captivity. The Park serves as a permanent home for wildlife that cannot survive in the Wild. All kinds of animals are here for their protection and healing. And they're here for you to enjoy and learn more about."


This was a friendly reenactor who referred to me and Wayne as a "nice family" even though we didn't have kids in tow like the rest of the adults. Yeah!

Ohh! Shopping!


This artist makes jewelry from moose antlers! All of the art on the pieces are his original drawings. Each is unique. I bought a pendant with a crow because I love crows. I also bought a dried corn and bead necklace made by Penobscots.


It was so uncomfortable outside that many of the animals were hiding in the enclosures or sleeping.


Zzzzzzz


The bears, however, wanted to be fed.

 

It's a fun set-up. For a quarter some food spills into a cup and you catapult it out by pushing down on a pedal with your foot.


Feed me! Feed me!


We quickly ran out of quarters.


It was much cooler in the shade but still sticky.


I love the beautiful old gnarly tree behind this sign.


As hot as we were, the Native American dancers must have really been hot in their traditional leather dress!


The bald eagle opening ceremony/demonstration had to be cancelled because eagles get ornery in high heat, we were informed.


We were treated to drumming, singing and dancing. We would have loved to stay longer for the flutist later in the afternoon, but after three hours outside we were ready for air conditioning and a nap. (Wayne's a senior citizen, ha ha. I have no excuse.)

Comments

  1. So many wonderful scenic gems very close to you...how excellent! It's good to explore close to home...something more of us should do! The pow wow reminds me of the Navaho Nation festivals I used to attend in the southwest; so colorful and fascinating. Lois

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lois, last year I heard someone say: "Bloom where you are planted." I have since been applying that to my life on a daily basis. I think we all have gems close to home that we're overlooking. It can even be a great little mom and pop greasy spoon. It can be fun to be a tourist in your own town.

      I bet those festivals were amazing to see!

      Delete
  2. Ha, ha...a girl after my own heart (stomach?)! We just moved to this smallish foothill town last year, and trying every local greasy (and-not-so greasy) spoon is near the top of my to-do list (healthfully balanced with trying the local hiking trails!).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In which state is your foothill town?

      Delete
  3. What a beautiful place and I love that the animals are (finally) being well cared for. Wayne looks great for a senior ;) I say enjoy the discounts. :)))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hee hee I agree with all of what you typed. :)

      Delete
  4. Love your humor in this post, Averyl! Cracked me up. Wayne is a good sport. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ha! Thanks, Aileen, and yes he is!!

      Delete

Post a Comment