Mock Lobstah, Merry Tomatoes, Sunroom TLC

 

Hello! Wayne and I didn't take any field trips this weekend since there were things that needed to be done around the house and friends from out of town came to visit earlier in the day.

In the photo above it looks like the shrub is undergoing some waist training as Wayne gave the peace sign from a hole in the house...


The house was built in the 1950s, and the sunroom was once a carport which you can see on the left side of the photo below. At some point it was transformed into the sunroom above that I adore.


Over the decades the wood panels began to rot through and needed to be replaced. My ex-husband did a thorough job with replacing many of them but recently others began to rot (which you can't see behind the paint--you simply push on it and if it gives, that's bad), so Wayne took care of that on this beautiful late August afternoon.


While he was doing his handiwork I was admiring our tomatoes and kept thinking that they looked like beautiful Christmas ornaments. I briefly hung a few of my vintage 1950s mercury glass balls on the vines.


A little Christmas tree?? AMIRIGHT? Kooky, I know, but it was fun to dress them up for a bit. But I wasn't finished.

When I was doing research for my cookbook this past winter I got a kick out of the many depression-era recipes for "mock" dishes that were made from inexpensive food dressed up and arranged to look like the pricey real deal. I wanted to doll up the tomatoes to look something like Maine Lobster Roll. Unlike the Great Depression when lobster was so cheap that it was prison food, it's very pricey today!

So! Introducing my very own "Mock Lobstah" salad!


I had cold leftover roasted chicken in the fridge from which I picked off some of the breast meat and removed the skin. I chopped a deep red juicy tomato from the garden, then added it, the chicken and mayonnaise into a bowl and mixed them together.


Once well blended I placed it in a Mason jar for storage and scooped some of the Imposter Lobster into a hotdog bun because that's how we roll in Maine. I used a gluten-free roll for mine.


Boy it tastes good and almost lobster-like! Lobster is sweet so the tomato really plays into the charade with its color and garden-fresh flavor. My Mock Lobstah Salad is also inexpensive and helps stretch leftover chicken. Maybe no one would be fooled but who cares, it's delicious!

After Wayne finished his project we enjoyed Mock Lobstah on the deck. 

September is almost here! Not ready to let go of summer yet.

Comments

  1. Yum! Bet it was delicious! Remember the "mock apple pie" recipe on the Ritz Crackers box? I always wondered how that would translate into apple pie, but never got around to making it. Did you?
    Lois

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup, I remember! I dedicated almost a full day to that when I was writing my cookbook, but ultimately decided not to do it. I tried to find a suitable gluten-free Ritz cracker replacement, online and off. I ended up buying a box of gluten-free crackers locally that were sort of similar in consistency, but they were missing that golden Ritz color that helps color the mock filling. The crackers, extremely expensive, were chemical laden junk and wouldn't help bind in the same way. Then I realized that it wasn't a very healthy dish anyway and moved on. It's basically sugary starchy pie without the health benefits of fruit and whole grains, but I can appreciate how it would be a cherished dessert when money was tight.

      Delete
  2. P.s. love your tomato vine Christmas tree! You're so clever!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Any mayonnaise based sandwich filler is okay in my book! That looks like happiness right there.

    ReplyDelete
  4. the house looks wonderful, but not quite as wonderful as the "lobster" salad. what a fun meal to share after all that work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It WAS fun dining on the deck with the "Christmas decor" and a nice late summer breeze, thank you.

      I posted the same pic on Facebook only I didn't mention that it was fake lobster salad. The foodies on my friends list "liked" it, one "loved" it and said no more...I think they think it's legit! ;)

      Delete
  5. Good idea! We have a Monsta Lobsta food truck that visits the area every so often that has a lobster roll that is quite good.

    Check the weather, we are about to get the ugly of Florida over the next couple of days. Makes Maine look a lot better, lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did just check the weather--stay safe, Dr. J!

      Delete
  6. I like your Christmas Tomato Tree! ;) I don't eat much mayo but my husband does. I don't know if he'd go for the organic version. What kind of oil is used in the ingredients?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Aileen. :) It contains Canola oil and NO added sweeteners/sugars like many brands.

      Delete
  7. I've followed you off and on for years it seems and was one the first to buy your book. Not to be too personal but you seem very happy and Happy with Wayne.I don't know you personally but it still makes me feel good. You have been such an inspiration to me. Sappy stuff done 😉

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tosha!! I love sappy stuff and yes, you were one of the first to read and review my book. XO I AM very happy and happy with Wayne. I have been doing a lot of growing and I'm glad you checked back in. Thanks for letting me know I've been an inspiration and that you care. :) :)

      Delete

Post a Comment