Tomato Love

I *just* picked these two beauties from the raised bed garden, which are the first from that location! For the past week we've been eating tomatoes from our container garden on the deck.


I absolutely love having these beautiful vines and tomatoes to gaze at and eat. I never knew that watching a vegetable garden grow could be so relaxing, enjoyable and exciting!


Wayne has done all of the work! He has lovingly tended to our first little garden with daily watering which is key since we're experiencing a drought this summer.



To me the tomatoes are like beautiful works of edible art, even and especially the imperfect ones. So far I've made a sliced tomato omelette in my 1940s iron skillet, added tomatoes to last night's pot roast over mashed potatoes, been eating sliced, juicy vine fresh Cherokee Purple tomatoes, and made a fantastic tomato onion focaccia


Timmy loves having super fresh and juicy tomatoes!


This can't ever get old!! But I know it will soon end. I plan to savor what's left of the Maine summer.


And here we have a peek at what goes on behind the scenes! Gardening isn't always a glam affair.

Comments

  1. Gorgeous tomatoes! I can just taste them! So much better than store-bought. ..!
    How do you cook your pot roast (I use crock pot)?
    Lois

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Store bought tomatoes, boy, it's going to be hard to go back to them after tasting these tomatoes.

      As for my pot roast, in the winter I make an oven roast:

      http://outdatedbydesign.blogspot.com/2013/01/snark-free-cookery-50s-fare-oven-pot.html

      In the summer I simply simmer a flat shoulder steak in a pot for a few hours until it's falling apart. Usually I add chopped veggies and onions towards the end.

      Delete
    2. Thanks, Averyl, for the great recipes! I love mashed potatoes made with yogurt. One Thanksgiving I fooled my friend's yogurt-hating husband by serving them, and didn't let him know until he'd complimented me after heaping seconds! He was sure that I'd copied his recipe of cream cheese and sour cream. :-)

      Delete
    3. ha! It's a delicious imposter!

      Delete
  2. We have a small cherry tomato plant on our balcony but it's a small one, so next year, I hope to be picking fresh tomatoes from it.
    My husband's grandmother, gave us a bag full of tomatoes last week so when we got home, I washed them in a bowl with water and vinegar to remove all the dirt and bugs and then, put them in the freezer.
    That way, all I have to do is take the tomatoes I need to cook, rinse them and the skin peels of easily.
    Timmy is so cut and we can see he's a happy little guinea pig now!
    :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How interesting, Paula! I had never heard of freezing tomatoes whole. What a great concept!

      Timmy is having the time of his life this summer. :)

      Delete
  3. They freeze very well, don't stick together when they are frozen and you can freeze those that are more ripped, so that they don't become rotten.
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Are you going to can some? That's really old fashioned. Then you can keep all of that summer goodness this winter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, canning it is very in line with eating retro. :) It depends on how much is left before the frost. I was thinking of making a few batches of sauce and freezing it. If I do end up canning I'll post about it here. :)

      Delete
  5. I always liked the country music song with the line, "There's two things that money can't buy..true love and home grown tomatoes." True that :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never heard those lyrics before, but so true! I googled it and it's John Denver! I may even have that song on vinyl! Thanks for that. :)

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. Thank you! I really wish I could share them with you all but they wouldn't survive the shipping!

      Delete
    2. You're so sweet to think of us!! Unfortunately I don't tolerate nightshades, so my tomato days are behind me... I love to smell them, though,. That perfect scent mix of soil and sweet!! May you enjoy having jars and jars of fresh tomato flavor in the middle of January!!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Comments are now closed on Outdated By Design which was retired in April of 2017. I am leaving my blog archives online. If you need to reach me please use the handy contact form. Thanks!