Fit Over Sixty Guest Post: Wayne's Weight Loss & Health Gains

Feeling great over sixty!

Averyl asked me if I was willing to share what my daily diet used to look like and how it is today along with my "before" pic on her blog. I admit that I'm shy when it comes to talking about myself like this but she pointed out that it can help inspire others. (Averyl's note: I also told him to get over himself!)

A few years and twenty-five pounds ago I was in what my doctor called a "pre-diabetic condition" and was suffering from severe hypertension. He consequently prescribed medications for both problems but I knew I had to do more to help myself. As you can see from my unflattering "before" pic I had a huge gut. (Averyl's note: How is that even the same guy?!)

Before I worked as a boatyard manager where I built and designed yachts and sailboats I spent almost twenty years in the food service industry. I considered myself to be well acquainted with healthy and wholesome food preparation.  Even armed with that knowledge I often chose to eat foods that were compromised by modern technology or provided calories without consideration for their nutritional value because they were convenient.

I have been taking some time to reflect on how Averyl and her book (yes I read it) helped me become aware of my eating habits and my relationship to food. It was always my "excuse" that eating right would consume too much time for me to give it serious thought. Whereas my old habits included eating what I construed to be "healthy" foods, they were often heavily laden with sugar or fats. I learned to pay attention to labels. I used to think that I wasn't having any sweets during the day which I used to justify having ice cream every night right before bed. I found out that I was actually eating sugar throughout the day. Some of the healthy-sounding processed foods I ate like like raisin bran and yogurt contained a lot of added sugars.

Averyl said it would be helpful to share some specifics about what I eat now vs then:

Instead of a sugary cereal or toast loaded with butter and jam for breakfast I now have a large bowl of cooked oatmeal, raisins, puffed wheat and flax seed every single day. It's very satisfying. 

For lunch I often make peanut butter and banana on whole grain bread sandwiches that I take to work along with cashews or almonds for a snack. I now only buy unsalted and unsweetend nuts, nut butters and bread. Before that I used to eat salty deli meats and greasy take out.

Unless we're eating out which is about once a week Averyl makes our dinners mostly from scratch. I used to add a LOT of butter and fat to my food. She uses those in her recipes but much less of it. She likes to cook with potatoes, gluten-free corn pasta or other carbs, vegetables and either cheeses or small amount of chicken. We eat lots of casseroles. We both used to eat a lot of red meat but now we have it maybe a few times a month.

I usually don't eat anything after dinner and I haven't had ice cream before bed for over a year now. Sometimes Averyl will make a pie or cake and we'll both have a piece for dessert. I make a point to eat more slowly. I feel like I'm able to enjoy my food more. 

I cut alcohol out of my diet.

My body was very out of shape. Other than playing golf I wasn't very active. Now I'm outdoors a lot in the summer doing yard work and gardening. I still play golf. In the winter I do the shoveling instead of hiring someone else. I still work in the marine and boating industry only now in a retail sales capacity where I frequently stock shelves.

As of my last annual examination in October of 2015 my doctor informed me that I no longer needed to be on any medications!


Wayne's t-shirt c/o his buddy Fred Steeves, co-owner of Double S Speed Shop.

It's not about recipes and quick fixes but rather a more comprehensive yet relatively simple and common sense approach to my everyday eating habits and exercise. It's daily diligence that is giving me lasting results.  

Comments

  1. Congratulations, Wayne! I, too, struggled with weight issues for years, and like you, have found my healthy balance in my late 50s, early 60s, losing 30 pounds after retiring (keeping most of it off). And also like you, I am finally following a common sense way of eating and exercising, replacing fits and starts (and failures) of extreme fads. Keep up the great work (and having Averyl on your side sure doesn't hurt!).
    Lois

    ReplyDelete
  2. hehehe you two would have gorgeous children

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for sharing Mr. Wayne. Thank you Averyl for encouraging him to do so. I, too, have been losing weight after 50 (it all began to creep on after 40, and depression didn't help). Averyl's books have been a God-send to me. I live a very vintage life (not one endorsed by our current culture), and really enjoy finding others who also do so. Blessings to you both.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank YOU for your wonderful feedback! Congrats to you, too!

      Delete
  4. Thank you for sharing, Wayne, and congratulations!! I read this with intense interest as I've lost about 25 lbs since early summer. It hasn't been easy. For awhile I was eyeballing my food but I've gone back to calorie counting since I don't want to undo all my hard work in getting to this point. Next month I will be 59. I already feel so much better and even just walking I can tell a difference in my movements. Your diet specifically interests me because, although as a man I know you need more calories, I am still tweaking what I eat so that I'm not ravenous until the next meal. I've been thinking about oatmeal for breakfast myself.

    Averyl has been a huge part of my motivation. You two are great together! God bless you both! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is so sweet!!! Thank you from both of us. :) xo

      Delete
    2. And congratulations, Aileen!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Comments are now closed on Outdated By Design which was retired in April of 2017. I am leaving my blog archives online. If you need to reach me please use the handy contact form. Thanks!