Gluten-Free Vegan Groovy Chickpea Burger Recipe


Wayne and I decided (well, I decided and told Wayne, ha) in an effort to further reduce our consumption of animals we're going vegetarian until Thanksgiving. After the holidays our goal is to be vegetarian for three weeks each month, maybe more. Rather than see that as limiting, I'm seeing an opportunity to create and play in the kitchen all winter to come up with new recipes. Of course I'll post some of the fun here!

Although I have some intriguing vintage vegetarian recipes and cookbooks for inspiration I kicked off our new diet with my own veggie burger creation. In the spirit of frugal housewives from the first part of the 20th Century I made use of what I already had in the house: Can of chickpeas, tahini, onion, oats and leftover mashed sweet potatoes. I bought some mushrooms and organic sunflower seeds because I was looking at my nutrition stats on fitday and realized I need more vitamin E in my diet. Although I used all organic ingredients which is pricier than not, the cost is still less than buying meat!

Groovy Chickpea Burger Recipe

Ingredients:

1 15.5 oz BPA-free can organic chickpeas (420 calories)
1/4 cup raw sunflower seeds (205 calories)
2 tbsp tahini (180 calories)
1 chopped white onion (60 calories)
1/2 cup sliced mushrooms (8 calories)
2 cups mashed sweet potatoes (500 calories)
2 cups rolled oats (300 calories)
6 tbsp peanut oil (720 calories)
1/2 tsp parsley flakes
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp dill
1 tsp celery salt

Drain the can of chickpeas, place in a large bowl, add the tahini and mash together. Add the sweet potatoes and herbs and blend with a mixing spoon before adding the oats. Mix again. In a skillet on medium sautee the onion and mushrooms with two tbsp of the oil, then add to the bowl and mix once more until well blended. Place the mixture in the refrigerator until cooled, then form into eight patties. Heat an iron skillet on medium with two tablespoons of oil. Once hot place four of the patties in the skillet. Flip after a few minutes. You can flip them a few times until they are cooked to your idea of perfection. Repeat with adding the remaining two tablespoons of oil and four burgers. If you want a less moist lower fat version you can bake them in a greased iron skillet at 350 for about forty minutes, turning them over halfway through.

Makes 8 burgers with 300 calories each.

I served the burgers on gluten-free rolls with lettuce and one of the last ripened tomatoes from our summer garden. (Yesterday I picked the remaining green tomatoes and placed them in a paper bag hoping they will ripen!) To add to the charade we had ours with a little ketchup. They are delicious!

Comments

  1. You're "flexitarians", like we are (vegetarian three-quarters of the time)! This is a great recipe. ..love the addition of sweet potatoes. I've made similar burgers (we call them garbanzo beans out here), but would love to try your recipe. Good luck getting more vitamin E...try almond milk on your cereal!
    Lois

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh there's a label for it, cool! I had never heard of that. I hope the recipe turns out well for you, Lois. I will start using more almond flour and I do sometimes use homemade almond milk in my baking. (I haven't had cereal in years!) Thanks for the tip!

      Delete
  2. these burgers look delicious. I'm going to try a similar recipe this weekend with yours as the guiding inspiration! thank you, as always, for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank YOU, Andrea, for being such a ongoing source of encouragement! I'll be interested to hear about your creation this weekend!

      Delete
  3. I have used some of those more "exotic" ingredients during my time as a vegetarian so this sounds fantastic to me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aileen I try to use "pantry" staples (I don't even have a pantry but you know what I mean, ha). Let me know if you give it a try!

      Delete
  4. I love the thought of using what's on hand. I want to try to use up a lot of what I have to save some money. My husband is a die hard meat eater but he loves sweet potatoes so I'm going to give this a try!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tosha, I saw your comment on my IG that you bought my book. Thank you, and you'll see that many of the recipes make use of leftovers and what's around the house. It has taught me to be more creative in what I make. Wayne and I really love a big juicy steak, pot roast, etc! but there are so many other delicious, more economical options. :)

      Delete

Post a Comment