Rich & Easy Vegetarian Gluten-Free Cream of Sweet Potato Soup Recipe


Wayne and I are about to enter our third week of being vegetarians until Thanksgiving. I learned from writing my cookbook that full-fat dairy and/or nuts add a very satisfying component to making a vegetarian dish a hearty and satisfying meal. It's also when I discovered that my local dairy sells heavenly rBST-free and additive-free heavy cream in a glass bottle.

This recipe was inspired by my love of sweet potatoes and wanting a rich and hearty soup I could serve for dinner (and pour in some of that cream!) It's soul-comforting, sweet and savory sustenance.

Rich & Easy Vegetarian Gluten-Free Cream of Sweet Potato Soup

3 lbs sweet potatoes (1200 calories)
1 cup heavy cream (820 calories)
2 shakes/pinches ground cinnamon
1 shake/pinch nutmeg
1 -2 cups of water
Salt to taste
1 oz chopped peanuts for garnish (170 calories)

Wash, peel and cut the sweet potatoes into two inch pieces. Place them in a pot of water, bring to a boil, then lower to medium and cook until tender. Drain the water from the pot and place the sweet potatoes in a bowl. Add half of the sweet potatoes to a heat-safe blender. Add 1/2 cup of the cream and blend until creamy. Pour the puree into a saucepan and repeat with the second half of the sweet potatoes and cream. Add the water and mix it in until it reaches your desired thickness, then add the salt and spices. Heat on medium and stir until steaming hot but not boiling. Garnish with the chopped peanuts.

Makes four bowls with 550 calories each.

This is good hot or cold!

Comments

  1. I never would have thought to use peanuts. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought of it at the last minute!

      Delete
  2. That looks heavenly! My husband loves sweet potatoes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! Let me know if you give it a try!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Comments are now closed on Outdated By Design which was retired in April of 2017. I am leaving my blog archives online. If you need to reach me please use the handy contact form. Thanks!