Wayne's friend is building "Calidris", a 32 foot yacht. By hand. Himself!


Hi. I'm feeling somewhat better since my car accident (although I haven't driven my car since then) and losing Timmy. I've even had numerous nights of good and plentiful sleep which is big for me as many of you know. My car is going to the body shop tomorrow morning and it should be ready by the end of the week. I miss Timmy all of the time since I work from home and was accustomed to having him with me but each day it becomes more bearable. 

Today I have a guest post from Wayne (the words are his, the pics, mine). He and I went to visit his friend Dave in Portsmouth, New Hampshire, where he is building a vintage inspired 32 foot wooden Lobster Yacht, "Calidris." He's building it by himself, by hand. 

Wayne has built, with help from the team he supervised, over twenty yachts during the course of his career and is happy to offer some advice to his friend.

I was very inspired by Dave and his dedication to making his dream come to life.

Enjoy!

Today Averyl and I visited an old friend of mine who is building a boat for himself.  Although he has built or repaired many types of boats this is his most ambitious project by a long shot. Whereas most DIY boat builders would be happy with a small row boat or sailing craft, David has decided to build a thirty-two foot version of an old "lobster yacht" design from the early 1900's.


Even with my background in building larger and more complex boats than David's project, his decision to take on a project by himself that many professionals would consider long and hard before tackling is nothing short of inspired passion wedded with a certain degree of idealistic craziness.



That being said, David started having conversations with me and many others as to how the boat would be built and what it would look like almost ten years ago.  Towards that end, he made the decision to have his ideas and concepts committed to paper by a professional boat designer and builder.


Some might argue that this step may seem like a bit of overkill for the "backyard" boat builder.



I would counter that the amount spent in proper planning and design will enhance the the entire scope of the project and make the building process a much more enjoyable one. 


David keeps a "mistake" in the shop to remind himself (and others) of the dangers associated with unbridled enthusiasm upon starting a project.  Even armed with a proper detailed design for the curves representing the stern (back end) of the boat, he was so eager to get started, that he failed to read the plans correctly and glued many pieces of wood together in a beautiful arc that would never fit where they were intended to go.  It's my contention that this early hiccup was a lesson that no teacher anywhere could have provided.  David's grace and humility (and a wonderful sense of humor) are what allow him to exhibit this piece proudly in his shop.


What David has created to this point is the basic hull of the boat.




The hull is the dramatic "boat shape" we all know. 


When this step is completed the builder (and anyone else willing to risk getting covered in dust) gets their first real dramatic sense how the boat will appear full scale.



When Averyl and I visited today, David was involved in “fairing" the newly completed hull.


This is a long and arduous task where all the humps and bumps in the hull are removed by heavy doses of sanding the entire hull to a consistent smooth finish.   



This is one of the most physically demanding parts of boat building but it pays great dividends in the finished product.
















Dave's workshop was previously owned by a gunsmith who specialized in making cannons.






The workshop from outside before we all headed to Dave's house for homemade squash soup and gluten-free iron skillet cornbread made specially for Averyl.

Comments

  1. I was thinking, "Nice gun bench!" What an awesome task. I just can't imagine building anything that big. I hope he finishes well and enjoys it thoroughly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He's very committed and promised Wayne and me that we will be there on it when it first launches. :)

      Delete
  2. Wow, a project of such magnitude, I'm impressed! To be honest, at first I didn't think I would be interested in the subject matter but your pictures, Averyl, brought it to life for me. I especially like the graphic of his time spent in the shop, haha! Do periodic updates for us!

    Glad you are healing and have been able to get some good rest. You've had some trying times lately. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Aileen! I thought I was going to be bored during the visit before we arrived but as soon as I saw the HUGE hull in person, and understood the scope, I was fascinated! He actually has a Facebook page where he posts updates:

      https://www.facebook.com/Calidris32/?fref=ts

      Delete
    2. Oh, interesting! I will follow.

      Delete
  3. That's very impressive! When I was in middle school, I got the plans from Popular Mechanics (I think) and set about building a six foot red racing boat in my basement. It took a lot of time, one smashed thumb, but (without ever measuring) we barely got the boat though the basement door and went to a nearby lake. It leaked. Yet, I had so much fun completing that challenge! I know my satisfaction will only be a drop in the boat compared to what Dave will have.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Comments are now closed on Outdated By Design which was retired in April of 2017. I am leaving my blog archives online. If you need to reach me please use the handy contact form. Thanks!