How to Eat a Maine Lobster / How a Maine Lobster is Caught


Eating lobster for the first time can be pretty tricky, and messy! I have a cute little pamphlet, "How to Eat a Maine Lobster," published by the state of Maine in the 1950s.


The first thing you want to do that's not mentioned in the instructions is to put on a bib, even if you know what you're doing. That's because the person next to or across from you might not and you'll end up getting sprayed with the water still inside the lobster as it's cracked open. It's happened. (To me... by someone very experienced as he was eating his lobster...)


If you're eating at a Maine lobster shack they'll normally provide you with the necessary bucket, bib, fork, nutcracker and wet wipes. Melted butter is also a side staple however I prefer my lobster without it. It doesn't need it!



I've never seen the inelegant suggestions of "pliers, knife, hammer, rock or what have you" before but I'm sure in a pinch they'd work.


Pretty easy. Water will be rolling out as you do this.


Mmm I'm getting hungry for lobster by reading this.


It's important to note that eating the "tomalley" isn't without some small potential risk due to toxins. You can read the FDA advisory here. Personally I've never wanted to eat it simply because it doesn't look appetizing to me so I just discard the entire back body into the bucket.


I've never employed the cider straw approach but maybe I will next time.


You can click to enlarge "How a Maine Lobster is Caught" which appears on the backside of the pamphlet. I'm not sure how that compares to today. Because Wayne works in the marine industry he's friendly with many lobsterman. Perhaps in the spring or summer I'll feature one or two on my blog and we can get the lobster lowdown!

Comments

  1. I've never eaten lobster that way. Actually, I've only had the tail. I know we can get lobster here in Texas but I had to google it for details. Apparently, ours is called Spiny Lobster and is found in the Caribbean and the Gulf of Mexico. And they have no claws! The edible flesh is all in the body and tail which is usually grilled. Which explains why the tail is popular here and why I've never seen anyone wrestle with claws.

    A Texas seafood restaurant called Pappadeaux says on their website that opinions differ as to whether Caribbean or Maine lobster tastes better. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never tried one of "yours" so I can't say, but the claws are delicious!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Comments are now closed on Outdated By Design which was retired in April of 2017. I am leaving my blog archives online. If you need to reach me please use the handy contact form. Thanks!