Treasures


My church had a book and bake sale this past weekend, so I made my secret recipe whole grain low sugar gluten-free shortbread cookies. My recipe involves over a year of kitchen-testing (and tasting). I was happy to learn they sold out. I also scored some terrific books! The "Who Says We Can't Cook" cookbook is a compilation of recipes published in 1955.


From the Forward:

"This Women's National Press Club Cook Book is not so much a defense of the culinary talents of newspaper women as it is a profit-making venture. We want a clubhouse of our own. With the help of this book, we expect to have a clubhouse sooner."


The beautiful small Victorian book is an 1880s copy of "Selected Poems by Elizabeth Barrett Browning."


I made a couple of trips to L.L.Bean. The first was to pick up these two monogrammed tote bags.


I went back up with Wayne the next day to buy him some shirts for spring. We had fun looking at the fish in the pond and aquarium. Acting like a tourist can be enjoyable when you let go of what people will think!

Comments

  1. I find it amusing how long the name of a cookie can get :-) A Pro Bass Shop just opened here. It was fun to go through. I got an LL Bean uncrushable hat many years ago, used it often, and it's still wearable!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha! I only describe them that way but call them shortbread cookies for short. Hey, for short. ha. Maybe I'll call them shorties.

      Delete
  2. So jealous of your book scores! Some real treasures there, especially the Elizabeth Barrett Browning. And I agree with your "tourist" observation...if anything, I secretly envy the obvious tourists visiting my community!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lois, you should get on out there and become tourist-like! Uninhibited, not afraid to ask locals dumb questions and mesmerized by the novelties!

      Delete
  3. Wow, when I saw the pic of Mrs. Browning looking over her shoulder, right after scrolling down from your pic looking over your shoulder, I was struck by a resemblance. Maybe I just need my morning coffee but you both resemble one another, especially with the posing. I had no idea she was such a beautiful woman.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, what a lovely compliment! I'll take it, even if due to pre-morning coffee vision! Thank you!

      Delete
  4. I've only ever ordered Bean online, but the store looks like a lot of fun. I actually have the same bag you ordered, but the trim and monogram on mine is red. I pack my lunch in it every day and it is close to indestructible. As to feeling "touristy," I say go for it! My husband and I live very close to the great Smoky Mountains. We have been to Pigeon Forge and Gatlinburg more times than I can count. No one down here seems to mind whether you are local or not. There are a LOT of weird, hilarious, and yes, tacky things to see in the area and I'd hate to miss out on any of them (or at least the less expensive ones). You'd think that there are only so many times you can dress up like a saloon girl in one of those sepia tourist pictures but you'd be wrong, at least in my case. Ha! Hope you get to take another tourist adventure soon! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heather, I love the Smoky Mountains. My ex-husband and I stayed in a beautiful cabin and visited Pigeon Forge and Gatlinburg (in the late 1990s) so I'm aware of the charms you mentioned. We don't have any sepia photo ops for dressing like a saloon girl around here, too bad! Right now we're preparing for a late season blizzard (eww!) Once spring is finally here we'll be touristy again!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Comments are now closed on Outdated By Design which was retired in April of 2017. I am leaving my blog archives online. If you need to reach me please use the handy contact form. Thanks!