"Could you please pass the maltodextrin?"


Up until today, I had always loved Polaner All Fruit. It was truly just fruit with fruit juices. I like their ad campaign from the 80's when the awkward Southerner asks for the "jelly" and shock and horror ensue at the prim and proper dinner table.

I am disappointed to report that Polaner All Fruit now contains maltodextrin.  I've learned to check labels each and every time I buy a product since ingredients are always changing. Today I noticed new packaging with the added words: "With fiber." I noticed "maltodextrin"  in the list of ingredients followed by, in parenthesis, an explanation that it adds fiber. What? How?

According to the FDA:

"Maltodextrin ((C6H10O5)n, CAS Reg. No. 9050-36-6) is a nonsweet nutritive saccharide polymer that consists of D-glucose units linked primarily by [alpha]-1-4 bonds and that has a dextrose equivalent (D.E.) of less than 20. It is prepared as a white powder or concentrated solution by partial hydrolysis of corn starch, potato starch, or rice starch with safe and suitable acids and enzymes."

Of course, making your own jelly would be ideal! But if you're like me, you don't have the time! In case you want to buy jelly that is simply fruit and fruit juices, I've rediscovered Sorrell Ridge which is sold at my local health food store but you can also buy it online.

Comments

  1. Are we going to eventually have nothing to buy in the food aisle that has not been 'altered'.....why are people so afraid of plain old sugar....in moderation!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree, Polaner has lost me as a customer, too! I noticed some very bad gas and decided to check the label and know I know the culprit - maltodextrin!

    ReplyDelete
  3. There is a really great French Jam called Bonne Maman. You can actually find it just about anywhere. It is really delicious, but I think homemade or locally made is always the BEST!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment